10 MPH speed limit

Has anyone heard of a Honda Civic (2001)going down to about 10 or 15 MPH no matter how much you step on the gas? It does this only after about a half an hour of stop and go traffic. No sign of over heating,too! When the road is clear and there is no traffic, its smooth sailing. Have replaced the catalytic converter but problem still not solved.

It sounds to me like the car is defaulting into “limp home” mode, which happens when a really serious problem is detected–especially with the transmission. I assume that your Check Engine Light is illuminated, but I will leave it to you to supply those details.

When you are driving at 10-15 mph, what is the tachometer indicating about engine revs?

Someone else mentioned that too. It revs normally. Check engine light is illuminated and continues to be illuminated even after a 30 minute rest to get the car running normally again (which works).

Correction: this problem happens in 15 minutes of stop and go. When engine is rev’ed
a lot while its happening, a loud series of “bangs”(back fires?)occurs.

You need a mechanic, or at the very least take the car to an auto parts store that will let you use a code reader to read out the trouble codes from the computer. Sometimes the check engine light means you have a minor problem that can wait and sometimes it means you have a major problem that needs immediate attention. You could have any number of problems that make the computer think that is not safe to let you continue to drive at full speed (bad sensors, transmission failing, fouled cylinders, coolant or oil problems, etc.)

What lead you to replace the catalytic converter? Have you had the codes read? Backfiring when stepping on the gas is usually a lack of fuel- bad filter or pump.

Are you saying that it revs normally do you mean that it is revving way up but its just not gaining any speed? If so then what you have is a slipping transmission. Either that or the transmission is stuck in limp mode. Does it shift during these times? The damage might be done already, but I’d not keep driving it without have a transmission shop look at it - a local, independent shop - not a national chain type of place.

As a start you at least need to check the transmission fluid level and note its color & smell. Finding out what your error codes are would also be good. I’d not be surprised to find a tranmsission code - such as an over temperature code.

You have a check engine light on? Go to a chain parts store and they will do a generic scan for free and post the code here. If it is a computer problem for the engine or transmission it should show up. What do you mean when you rest the car it runs normally again? At first start does it always run bad? That could mean a heat sensor or several other temp related issues.

The mechanic who did the diagnostic suggested the replacement after replacing the crankshaft sensor and “r & i cover” with no luck. Maybe its time to replace my mechanic.

I do not remember the revs when it happened to me while driving it. The owner, however, informed me that it seemed to rev normally. We will have to note exactly how it revs when it occurs again. It will automatically shift when going down hill(faster) but on the flats it is stuck in (2nd?).

Good advice on the free scan. On start up the car will go the distance at any speed for as long as needed; just as long as there is no continuous stop and go traffic. Not long after this type of traffic starts, limp mode occurs; 10-15 mph max. even floored. When it is turned off and left alone for at least 30 minutes, it starts right up and is fine, unless it hits more traffic…

Check engine light is illuminated

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

My friend’s 2001 Civic did something similar and it turned out to be the Throttle Position Sensor that was a part of the throttle body (although his Check Engine Light was throwing a code for the throttle position sensor). I replaced the throttle body (sensor and throttle are not available separately from Honda)and problem solved.

I did use a junkyard Throttle for $25 as Honda wanted like $500 just for the part.

There is no way to infer that this person is having the same problem though. He really needs to get the codes read.

Drum roll again please. OBDII scan displays P1361 (intermittent interruption in TDC 1 sensor circuit) and P1362 (no signal in TDC 1 sensor circuit) Also, it will not rev above 3500 RPM when in Limp Mode.

Update: 2001 Honda Civic "Limp Mode"
We replaced the camshaft sensor three weeks ago and have not had any problems
with Limp Mode. No more CEL. Thanks for your input.

Re:
OBDII scan displays P1361 (intermittent interruption in TDC 1 sensor circuit) and P1362 (no signal in TDC 1 sensor circuit)

Re:
OBDII scan displays P1361 (intermittent interruption in TDC 1 sensor circuit) and P1362 (no signal in TDC 1 sensor circuit)

Re:

Re:

Re:

Re: