10 most dangerous vehicles

I thought for sure my Mitsubishi Mirage would be on the list!

83.2% of statistics are made up.

5 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s number 1 on a real statistic that takes in to account deaths per registered vehicles, or miles traveled. Actually, the IIHS says the Kio Rio and Hyundai Accent are beating it now. I’ll exclude the Ford Fiesta due the attraction of dangerous drivers.

Yes!
Welcome back to Rod-Knox.

1 Like

… on a real statistic that takes in to account deaths per registered vehicles, or miles traveled.

Where can I find those real statistics? Serious question. Link please? (I’m new to cars in general. Don’t know much.)

The IIHS maintains a list. The list does not consider driver behavior, seat belt use, or miles traveled though. Just deaths divided by the number of registered vehicles. Also, the size classes seem to be based on actual size and not weight.

There was at one time a 1997 or 1998 list that showed the 1997 Toyota Camry and the Volvo 850 as the cars with the least number of tatalities. Now that list is gone, and I don’t see a single Volvo in the current list.

1 Like

Thanks You Guys. It’s great to get back. You’ve kept this place swinging in my absence.

1 Like

I’m sure that I’m not the only forum member to be happy about your return.

We’ve lost too many forum veterans over the past few years, and some of them passed away, so I’m very glad to see that you are alive and–hopefully–well. In case you weren’t aware of it, OK4450 passed away a couple of months ago.
:pensive:

2 Likes

Certainly the case if comparing my 50 year old Ford truck to 30 year old Corolla. Corolla, sedan, considerably more stable than truck. Truck is like riding a horse in comparison to Corolla. Newer trucks much better though, my contractor friend has new-ish Silverado, excellent ride quality. Not as good as sedan though.

The other bad part of that list, It may have been the occupant(s) of the other car that died.
The single occupant Ford F-150 driver may have survived, and all 5 people in the other car died, that’s 5 points against Ford

And for the “in memoriam” segment, did you know we lost @ok4450 ?

I had no idea, thanks for the update on ok

1 Like

While enjoying myself catch up with things here I am faced with losing OK4450. I wonder if he realized he would be missed?

All things considered this is the best forum I’ve found on the www regardless of subject.

2 Likes

and 7/5ths of people don’t understand fractions…

3 Likes

this was my exact thought as well.

At one time it was 4 lives lost for every life saved due to driving a truck or SUV. That study is over 20 years old now and the situation isn’t as bad today, but the issue still exists.

Do these studies include pedestrians hit by vehicles, most do. That would certainly skew the “make/model” results.
Just as a side note. With vehicular death studies why is there never a result for “pedestrian at fault” ie. drunk wandering into road, texting while crossing, stop sign running bicycles, where there was no way a vehicle could stop? I know legally pedestrians and bikes, have the “right of way”, but that doesn’t always work out in the real world.

2 Likes

Florida has a lot of pedestrians hit by vehicles, we have a lot of jaywalkers. Have seen a lot of people crossing a street when twenty feet away is a controlled crosswalk. Then not uncommon for people in dark clothing to jaywalk on dark streets. Bicycles with out lights, not unusual.

2 Likes

Happens every day, in every city/town/village nation wide.

Yes, a major hazard–to both the cyclist and the motorists. A few months ago, on a stretch of country road that has no shoulders, right after rounding a curve, I came upon a cyclist who was wearing dark clothing and who had no lights on his bike. Even though it was daytime, this was in a heavily-forested area and it was very close to impossible to see this guy until you were very close to him.