– Total Fatal Crashes (2014-2018): 3,430

#8. Ford Explorer

– Total Fatal Crashes (2014-2018): 3,332

#9. Nissan Altima

– Total Fatal Crashes (2014-2018): 3,267

#10. GMC Sierra

– Total Fatal Crashes (2014-2018): 3,245

1 Like

What a coincidence, the more vehicles you sell, the more fatal crashes you have.

Unless you post crashes per vehicle mile, it is meaningless.

24 Likes

Don’t tell @TheWonderful90s that 3 of the top 5 are large heavy vehicles. But then again maybe they only hit even larger vehicles, or trains. :wink:

Since the Chevy and GMC are the same truck, total makes them more dangerous☹️
As stated above fatalities per mile means much more.

4 Likes

Check out this effort to determine the causes of fatal crashes in pickups. As a Mississippian I feel certain the report is accurate.

1 Like

Big truck owners are compensating for physical shortcomings.
Happens in Texas, Alabama and other southern states.

The ValuePenguin reference begins to explore the deaths per unit sold, but they were a bit lazy. They show deaths in each vehicle model between 2014 and 2018 but only show units sold in 2018.

This is a totally worthless statistic. If I manufactured car and 500 of the 1000 of them sold crashed…it wouldn’t make this list. Anyone with an IQ can see that a 50% car crash rate would be the highest crash rate of any vehicle in the history of automobiles.

2 Likes

Everyone I know who owns a large pickup truck is under 5’8" and weighs less than 150lbs.

This simply an insult created by people who dislike pickups and large SUVs. Truck owners don’t care what you think.

8 Likes

Worthless statistic. Looks like a list of the best selling vehicles. Where is crash per miles driven data???

1 Like

Thanks for bringing everyone’s attention to the obvious useless ness of the statistic!

Here is another source of statistics from the IIHS that is also somewhat useless in its own way. It’s only useful to an insurance company that doesn’t know anything about driver behavior. If you buy a Corvette and you’re 19 years old, we think you’re going to crash is how the insurance industry works. It doesn’t take in to account miles traveled, seat belt use, or driver behavior. This is why the Corvette is usually near the top of this list. Also, don’t overlook the confidence limits, which is a very wide range. The number that they give in between that range is not always better than a guess.

Notice how in this data that the 4 wheel drive versions of the same trucks have higher fatalities. I believe this has purely to do with driver behavior

Why the insulting remark about the south?

2 Likes

Take a math class. Statistics are EXTREMELY useful. It can be abused by people who don’t know what they are doing. But statistics is heavily used by business and manufacturing. Used correctly it can be an extremely effective tool. I’ve worked on several statistical models that have accurately predicted factual results.

I flagged your post as spam, since it is a bit of a personal attack in response to something that I didn’t write, and it contributes nothing of value to the conversation. I doubt anything will happen, by it’s worth a try.

Anything that PROVES you don’t know what you’re talking about is personal attack. Trust me…You’ve lost all credibility in this forum.

4 Likes

You don’t even know what Spam is . Just adds to the list of things you don’t know .

2 Likes

I’m beyond a list with him. We’re now into complex multi-sheet spreadsheet. It’s tough to keep up.

3 Likes

Hey just the other day I was thinking that I hadn’t seen Rod-Knox post here for a while. Glad you’re still around!

6 Likes

I do, I do.
It’s delicious.