'06 Corolla Plastic Engine Cover Fasteners

Just got this car and wanted to look at the spark plugs. There is a plastic cover over the engine that has two plastic fasteners of some sort. How do I release these? They do not appear to be finger operable. I don’t want to break them.

Another question. The front side of the cover has two 10 mm nuts holding it down. One of the nuts unthreaded nicely, but the other just turns and turns. Neither the nut nor the stud comes out. Suggestions?

I had problems finding information about my 04 Camry under engine shield and how they were attached. I spent the better part of an hour on the web with little luck except for prices for the part at $50+. I the went to Toyotanation.com registered and found an on line manual with pictures to give me some chance of making the repairs I need to perform. I’m thinking you might look there also. Good luck!

You should have no reason to look at the spark plugs. If it looks like a screwdriver goes there, use one. If you are going to work on the car all the time, you need a Haynes manual. Information like you need is in the book. You will have to pull up on the plastic while turning the nut. If the nut was made of pressed sheet metal, you might try to pry it off while turning it, or destroy it and get a real one.

This car has 90,000 miles on the original plugs. Many folks on this very board have advised against going the full 120,000 Toyota recommended service interval due to the possibility of the plugs seizing in the aluminum head. Besides, the first thing I do when I get another car is look at the plugs. An old habit that dies hard, but it can tell you plenty about the engine. I wanted to look before I bought, but couldn’t get the cover off. The car runs and looks so good, I bought it anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’ll try my friend’s air wrench on the turning nut. It is not sheet metal. I don’t need to see those plugs immediately.

By the way, this is my first Japanese (California built) car experience. I have been driving Fords for the last 20 years or so, so this should be an interesting experiment for me. So far I’ve changed the oil and filter, serpentine belt, and air filter and was impressed at how easy it was. Now, if I can just get that danged cover off without breaking anything.