'04 toyota dying

I drive a 2004 Toyota Matrix SRX, It has a 6 speed manual gearbox. Sometimes whem im driving and i push the clutch whether to decelerate or when I’m sitting at a stop light the car dies. It seems like when the engine is slowing down it sometimes doesn’t catch itself to idle and just dies. I don’t know if there is an easy fix or if ill have to take it to a repairman.

Have You Noticed Any Warning Lights ? Is There A “Check Engine” Or “Service Engine Soon” Light That Is Illuminated ? Have You Been Following The Maintenance Schedule In The Owner’s Manual ?

How many miles on this little beauty ?

CSA

Have You Noticed ? Does Outside Temperature Influence The Stalling ? Is It More Likely To Stall In Cold Temperatures, Possibly Below 32 F ?

Some of these Toyota Matrix (and Corolla) vehicles were built with defective intake manifold gaskets (1ZZ-FE engine) and a “revised” gasket is available.

It could be that or one of a hundred other things.

CSA

It now has 120,000 miles and i am keeping up with the proper maintanence schedule, unfortunately i am under the impression the previous owner did not, I bought it a year ago with 98,000 miles. There are no indicators,and no check engine lights.

It doesnt seem to be affected by cold weather at all, and it doesnt do it consistently either. It will just randomly die on deceleration or coasting. It never dies in idle, but only when it is coming down from higher RPM’s

Why must you use bold print and sign ever post, CSA? It’s really annoying.

When you come down from higher RPM the timing changes. I’d bet you need to have a repair-person look at the engine computer and timing. It seems that the engine is not getting proper fuel-air mixture and this will cause engine to misbehave.

It sounds to me like a very simple case of a sticky idle air control (IAC) valve. The determining factor is probably not you depressing the clutch, but you coming off of the gas pedal. This closes the throttle and the IAC takes over for letting air into the engine. If it is sticky/sluggish it will be slow to respond & the car will end up with no air - thus no “boom”

I agree, this is the first thing to check. If one knows how, it is easy to tell, but it is not easy to explain to someone without the experience.