04 pt cruiser engine light on, and car is hesitating

My engine light went on when driving about 45mph. At same time engine began to bog down, then accelerate - then bog down again.
Car is a 04 pt cruiser, Chrysler 4 cylinder
Engine light still on and it starts but it seems to be running roughly. HELP !!!
Any ideas???
BEST REGARDS, RPC
LUTZ, FLORIDA

Take it to your local auto parts chain store and ask them to read the code for free. Write the code down in “P0123” format and post it back here so we have some idea of the cause.

Auto parts store will do that for free??

Ok, will do

“Auto parts store will do that for free??”

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, they will do it in all states except for California.
They do it in the hope that you will buy parts from them, but you are under absolutely no obligation to buy anything.

But, whatever you do, don’t accept a diagnosis that is offered by the guy who plugs his code reader into the port underneath your dashboard. Just get the code(s), and come back here to report them and get further info.

Edited to add:
I hope that the Check Engine Light is steadily lit-up, rather than flashing/blinking.
If it is flashing/blinking, continuing to drive the car will inevitably drive-up the cost of repairs.
If it is flashing/blinking, you need to have the car towed to a competent mechanic’s shop.
Competent mechanic=NOT a chain operation like Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, AAMCO, and others of that ilk.

allpar.com is a website devoted to Chrysler Corp. vehicles. You will find a discussion group specific to your car. You may also find info on how to read the codes without the use of a code reader - but it’s true that places like Autozone will read codes for free, or loan you a code reader. First read your owners manual for advice on what the CEL means, and where to plug in the code reader.

The owners manual for a 04 PT Cruiser will not list the codes, but simply googling check engine codes will give you the whole list. Did you know that the non turbo engine in your car needs new spark plugs every 30000 miles?