'04 Jeep Liberty Transmission

I have my 04 Jeep Liberty at a local dealer to diagnose the transmission slippin problem. My question is, if they say it needs to be replaced should I have them do it or take it to an independent transmission person? I am new to the area and have no idea where to take it. It is a slight problem now but I do not see it getting any better without help. I saw on line that dealers usually just want to replace transmissions when they can sometimes be fixed. What is your opinion??

Personally, I would start researching independent transmission shops to find one that has been in business for at least 3 years and that has no major complaint record on the BBB website. Whatever you do, DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any other chain operation!

Agree with VDC. I go to a family owned shop that’s been around for 20 years. They also overhaul transmissions for the local VW dealer, who marks it up by 100% or so. How do I know, a friend with a Passat was quoted twice the price by the dealer than the figure I got for similar scope work from my indenpendent shop for the exact same work.