000 Toyota Sienna van tail lights

Hi,I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna Van. Recently, the tail lights (brake)stopped working.I opened the rear hatch and removed the two bolts on thetail light .But can’t remove the lense covers.Not sure it will go strait to the back or to the side, to remove the cover.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Does the owner’s manual have anything to say about this?

There may be instructions for replacing the bulbs.

In many cases removal of the lamp assembly is not required.

owner’s manual shows two pictures,and looks like it will move to the side,the whole lamp assembly ( they showed with a curved arrow).But the lense covers is not coming out.

Do you really need to remove the covers? You may be able to replace the lamp from the back.

No,can not access the bulb from the back, as oer the owner’s manual

I have a Toyota Sienna 2002, and some of the lights are very hard to replace.

There is a forum just for you. http://www.siennachat.com/forum/

Register and search and ask.

I do not understand exactly which lights you mean. The lenses which go up when you raise the hatch can apparently only be accessed by taking the hatch apart.

The ‘two bolts’ makes me think you mean the lens which does not move when you raise the hatch.

My favorite repair book for Sienna is Haynes Repair Manual Toyota Sienna 1998 - 2002. On page 12-13 (section 12 page 13) it says:

Remove the two screws and push the taillight housing toward the side ofthe vehicle to release it from the body. Pry the light housing away from the body (text says use trim tool, do be careful, those things are not cheap) to release the two pins, there is access to replace the bulbs for the brake/tail light (top bulb) and the rear turn signal bulb (bottom bulb.)

For what the Haynes manual costs, I highly recommend it. I got mine at AutoZone, but I am guessing other places have it, though some sell Chiltons.

Haynes tells you to use a rag against the body to prevent the trim tool from scratching the paint.

This is one of the worst parts of the Sienna. Replacing bulbs is a pain in the chair.

I have a penciled note on that page. Rear stop light 7443 turn signal 7440 yellow.

As far as the pins mentioned, the text says: Two plastic pins in body sockets secure the back of the housing.

That was very helpful,Irlandes.I appreciate that.

This should do the trick.let me try it.Thanks a lot!!

“Remove the two screws and push the taillight housing toward the side ofthe vehicle to release it from the body. Pry the light housing away from the body (text says use trim tool, do be careful, those things are not cheap) to release the two pins, there is access to replace the bulbs for the brake/tail light (top bulb) and the rear turn signal bulb (bottom bulb.)”

I tried it and I could not remove the assembly.
Finally I went a parts shop and saw the assembly.There are 2 small pins in the other side of the big two screws.These pins are holding it together.That gave an idea.
So insered a samll screedriver(used a rag) to pry the two pins.Putting assembly back is little trickey.
Anyway now I know how to do it.
Thanks for all the reply.