What would you do if the price of the Gasoline went up while you were waiting?

These are called Jamaican pattys ( patties). They are delicious and come in varieties. My favorite is beef patty.

They are sold on the island for $1.70 for a single. And they’re sold here for $4 :frowning:

A single patty is not filling; you’d likely need two to feel somewhat satisfied, and you’ll get a much better value for your money spending at KFC, Taco Bell and Popeyes.

But for the experience, and if you are interested, you can try these pattys at the golden krust restaurant. They’re very delicious.

They look like what are called pasties in the upper penn of Michigan. When we first visited that area maybe 50 years ago, every little stand advertised them, they were good but my definition of the term was quite different from what they were selling for lunch.

1 Like

Pasties = Cornish empanadas

3 Likes

They know the chickens are Lost Leaders, but to get a chicken, you have to go all the way to the back of the store to get one and very few folks leave with just the chicken. It’s true with us, we needed a shopping cart to leave… They also play “Treasure Hunt” with the items. We were there just two days ago and many items were now in different places and that causes you to shop around and possibly see something else “you did not know you needed…”

Here in Newport News Virginia… And that includes an “endless” soda…

By the way, did you know you can still get onions for your dog, you only have to ask the attendant when you get the hot dog, it comes in a small cup…

They used to dispense the onion along side the catsup, relish, and mustard, but some folk would finish the soda and then fill the cup with just onion. I guess, for some folks, it’s like GOLD…

By the way what would you pay for a hot dog from a street vendor in NYC?

I bought a hotdog at KFC for almost $4. In NYC, from a vendor, roughly the same. At social events, about $3.50.

The price of food doesn’t make sense in the USA as of late.

About the only thing I buy there is the box of 100 k cups that you can’t get anywhere else. Yeah and I have had to look around a number of times. Sometimes they even have a pallet right where you come in. I buy a couple at a time. Two k cups a day plus a decaf. I get the coffee while the wife gets the chicken and other items, so yeah loss leader but we don’t go just for the chicken.

That sound to me like you should find a nearby Costco, and join the club. In addition to the best price in town for Top Tier gas, plus excellent prices on Michelin and Bridgestone tires, Interstate batteries, Mobil-1 synthetic motor oil, WW fluid, wiper blades, and other car-related items, Costco sells Jamaican Beef Patties for what I think is an unbeatable price. And, I agree that they are very tasty.

Sam’s Club snack bar also sells 1/4 lb hotdogs with a drink for less than $2.00.
We have a hotdog stand that serves Vienna Beef Brand hotdogs, price is north of $3.00, humongous menu of different topping, well worth the price.
Parking lot always full of cars and trucks.

Here’s just ONE example of why.

Facebook

1 Like

And, that Kellogg CEO–who suggested that people eat cereal in lieu of other foods–had a year-over-year salary increase of $2.6 million, bringing him up to total annual compensation of $13.3 million.

What Mr. Reich didn’t mention in that little video is that corporate dividends have also increased by a LOT over the past couple of years.

For example, McDonalds raised their stock dividend in 2022 by 10.1%, and in 2023 by 9.9%. Yes, food supply prices increased for them, but if they were simply increasing their retail prices by the same percentage as their supply costs, they wouldn’t be able to increase their stock dividends by those huge amounts.

To keep this car-related, Chevron raised their stock dividend by 7.9% recently, after increasing their dividend by 6.3% the previous year. While I like receiving these dividends, at the same time I recognize that something is not right here. If these companies are “just keeping up with inflation”, how can they afford to keep increasing their dividend to shareholders?

Clearly, there is a lot of profiteering going on under the guise of “keeping up” with the rate of inflation.

Same thing with Exxon.

Yes, I noticed that when the March dividend rolled in.
Additionally, Marathon Oil has increased their dividends by 17% each year for the past 3 years.

Corporations are “just keeping up with inflation”?
I don’t think so.

Corporations are the leading cause of inflation.

1 Like

That’s why he makes the big bucks. They raise their prices beyond the effects of inflation because they believe that they can get away with it, and will continue to do so until the public stops underwriting their actions.

1 Like

Pasties are different, IMHO better.

Why, because though increased, still lower than many other countries?

1 Like

“By the way what would you pay for a hot dog ?”

I pay $1 each for the 3 ounce size, Hebrew National beef. To achieve this price I have to cook it myself.

Costco here does not display prices. maybe on gas buddy or something, Was filling up on some trip,gas did not shut off when the tank was full. I was washing the the windows and all I got was did you not see do not leave unattended? lost a bit of gas, no cleanup crew or credit etc. No CEL, on we go ;(

Getting a little off the subject but naturally you only buy products from businesses which are sometimes corporations. They raise or lower their prices to stay in business so in that sense they are the end result of inflation. So if you never buy anything you never encounter higher prices. The founders relied on an informed citizen so we have a long way to go in general economic understanding.

Back to gas though, I was remembering the first time I encountered pay at the pump. It was 1976 in North Carolina. We never had any of this in Minnesota. Stealing gas was not a problem. So after figuring out why the pump didn’t work I asked the clerk how I was supposed to know how much it would take to fill my tank. Guess most people gave her five or ten dollars. It was a foreign concept to me. All changed with debit cards. I used to laugh at the clerks using binocs to record license numbers of people getting gas at the old pumps.