What would you do if the price of the Gasoline went up while you were waiting?

I bought silver coins years ago, should I sell them for the same price today? Or at today’s market value?

So if the price is going down, you might have to sell what you currently have at a loss ?

Well you could sell at a loss but you don’t have to. Some years ago my barber had a 39 Chevy or something and needed a water pump. Couldn’t find one. Finally two blocks over was an old parts store left over from the 40s run by an old guy. He had a new old stock water pump on hand. Paid the price marked on it from 1950, not the current value.

You sell at current market price, regardless of what you paid for it.

Because I need enough money to buy that next load. Sales price is based on replacement cost and what the market will bear. If you’re a grocer and the cost of green beans is scheduled to go up next week, when would you increase your price?

Any gas station that only needs a tanker load once a week has long been driven out of the market. Fuel retailing is a volume business, unless you don’t need to make any money at it.

As a side note, for the 8 years I was owner/operator, my average margin was .16/gallon to .20/gallon. State gasoline tax at that time was .43/gallon. Meaning the state made more than twice per gallon than I did. How many people do you know that are stupid enough to go into a business that guarantees the state makes more money than you do, all while actively trying to put you out of business?

Only if you are a very low-volume station that has just filled its tanks and the priced dropped dramatically. See my comment above about one load a week. Or unless you’re in Minnesota, where it’s illegal to sell gasoline without an 8 cent/gallon profit.

Fuel retailing is competitive to the point of stupidity. Every gas station out there could raise their price .05/gallon with no effect to its customers, but dropping the price by .05 is the difference between surviving and going broke to the business.

2 Likes

I would still pump gas.

Like you already said 6c is not a big deal.

I’m probably also delusional in thinking Shell sells the best gasoline, so I buy strictly from SHELL despite its higher price tag.

For whatever reason, my car gets better gas mileage using SHELL compared to other brands, and I can also feel more HP.

6 cents per gallon? Presuming the pumps are open 24 hours, they have to change the price at some point. Me, I’d just pay it w/out complaint. That’s not something that would bother me. As long as the price didn’t change after I had already began the transaction of course . In the meantime I’d be looking around for less expensive stations for the next re-fill.

I may be wrong but I believe around here they all come from the same refinery. Just depends on the name on the transport. Of course they may have different additives. The guy that owned the Mobil station had his own tanker which was why he was always able to meet our needs during the bad ole days.

Our Costco has a bi-fold sign that sits on the ground and to change the price, someone had to manually change the numbers. Perhaps, that is what they did, change the numbers and when the last car went through that got in line with the lower price, they then changed the pumps. I do not know, it’s just speculation.

I also lived and drove during those times in the '70s when the gas embargo occurred and then I was stationed at Luke AFB, way outside of Phoenix, AZ., and I had 25-mile drive to work every day…

I also live near two military installations and both have service stations, which also performs minor service, I guess kind of like Walmart or Pepboys… I do not often stop for gas at these stations but when I was on active duty, I often did and they advertised that the price of the gas would not change during the day and was based on an average price of gas sold at stations locally (including top tier and not so top tier…).

I just got back from a Trip to Costco, the previous postings were made before I left…

As Paul Harvey would say, “Now the Rest of the Story…”

I stopped by Costco this morning (Tuesday) to buy gas for one of the other cars and the price was still $3.259. I filled up and went inside for, (wait for it…) to buy a Rotisserie Chicken…

On the way out, I spoke to the Manager about what I witnessed Sunday. He explained that Corporate changes the price, not the store, and they do it electronically. Corporate calls the store to notify them that a price change is imminent and the store contacts the pump attendant to remove the sign and change it to reflect the new price. Then about 5-minutes later, when all the folks waiting in line who might have seen the previous price have had a chance to pump gas and leave, the price starts changing as each pump finishes pumping. No one who sees one price will be charged a different price. Then when all the pumps had been updated with the new price, the Placard “A” frame price sign is replaced with the new price…

Actually, I wrote…

But if I was filling the 42-gallon fuel tank on my truck, it makes the difference of whether I can get two or only one Foot Long Hot Dogs when I get inside… L :grinning: L . . .

1 Like

I read that they decided to keep the price of a hot dog and drink at $1.50. They are losing money like on the chickens but they are good. I always pay for lunch for my wife. $3 for both of us. And no tip.

1 Like

Where do you get hotdog for $1.50?

Costs $3 and up in NEWYORK.

Hotdog and drink for $1.50 at Costco.

2 Likes

I think they’re referring to Costco’s snack bar. All the Costco’s in this area have one. Folks going shopping at Costco look forward to eating a hot dog as part of the shopping experience. I used to purchase pizza slices and even whole pizzas at their snack bar quite often. Good value, and reasonably good quality. Then they changed their snack-bar policy, the snack-bar now is only for Costco members. No Costco pizza for George.

2 Likes

Yep if you are on a date at costco, you can buy lunch for $3 instead of $50.

Sadly, I don’t live near Costco. But I must say that’s really cool to find hotdogs for $1.50.

I’ve taken wife on cheaper dates when we first met.

So I mentioned that they were keeping the ho dog price at $1.50 so would probably keep the chicken price at $10. She said $10, they are $5. What do I know about the price of chicken? Worth every penny they lose in advertising.