Must be getting senile, gas pump confusion

You boned them!!! Let’s see how long this comment lasts. :smile:

Personally I’d rather have corn liquor put to better use, where it belongs-vodka, bourbon, and whiskey.

Now ya’ll can argue about whiskey vs bourbon.

4 Likes

Consider this, the computer can compute the Miles to Empty pretty darn accurately regardless of you driving fast and consuming fuel quicker verses driving concretively and really stretching those mile per gallon…

So, if you are burning regular or E-85, the computer computes the amount of fuel you are consuming verses you speed…

But only you can discern just how accurately that computation is… Personally, I find that I seem to find that last quarter tank of gas gets better mileage than the first three-quarters do…

For example, the dash reading of “miles to Empty” clicks off about one mile for each mile driven when the tank has a lot of gas in it… But in that last quarter tank, I seem to be able to drive 6 to 8 miles driven for each 5-mile reduction in mile to empty…

I cannot explain it nor do I care, the two vehicles that I travel any real distance both get more than 30-MPG and my bladder does not get that type of mileage… For that reason, a convenience stop is a good time to refuel…

In my 30-years in the military, I learned that you never pass up the opportunity to catch a few ZZZs, a bathroom break, or fill up your tank with fuel…

Bourbon IS whiskey. I never heard vodka called whiskey. Rye is whiskey too and I’m from Maryland, so….

1 Like

Haven’t tasted the stuff for 40 years so you’ll have to inform me. Grandpa used to have a bottle in the garage when I cut his grass but no idea what it was,

I too have never heard anyone call vodka a whiskey, kind of an odd comment.
Rye whiskey requires at least 51% rye in the mash.
Bourbon must be aged in charred oak barrels for at least two years, while whiskey has no minimum aging requirement.

Me? I prefer Scotch (which is a whiskey) or Japanese whiskey which is very similar to Scotch, using the same production methods.

See, I knew that would cause an argument.

1 Like

Was it in a mason jar?

2 Likes

I assume that by law E15 and E10 or less can’t use the same nozzle (unless the gas station only allows post 2001 vehicles to fill up).

That’s really interesting. So you only got 72.6% of the miles per gallon on E95 even with the 9 to 12 compression boost. Was the ignition timing sufficiently advanced or was it left at stock? Ethanol may need more timing advance. I assume you couldn’t use any more than E10 in the stock car since the fuel system would have to be modified. Did you try putting regular premium gasoline in the modified car and compare it to E95 operation?

Don’t forget that E85 means a maximum of 85%. The actual amount of ethanol is less. It could be 70% ethanol during the winter.

I love bourbon but have no palate for Scotch.

But all things being equal, if I had to be stranded on a desert island with only one liquor, it would be gin.

I virtually always have some bourbon, scotch, and Irish whiskey around. I love whiskey. The bourbons top my list.

This is likely why I can get confused at weirdly color-coded gas pumps…

1 Like

Well there is confused and then there is knowing you are confused. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Ignition timing was advanced significantly via an advance table in the aftermarket ECU. The 87 octane gasoline was ethanol-free (this was 1994) and the energy content was measured with a Parr bomb calorimeter. The E95 was 95.3% ethanol and 4.7% 87 octane gasoline ratio by volume. All fuel came from the same batch so as to minimize any variation in energy content.

No, the ethanol vehicle did not see any other fuel other than E95 by the time I graduated.

As long as we are on whiskey, went to Jack Daniels many years ago. Had to go to another county to buy the stuff. They sold black green and yellow lable, then Lem Motlow aged less than a year, I bet an e 85 vehicle could use that in a pinch. OK,maybe everclear?

Course we were primitive camping, Lem.s did not taste too bad but sure packed a punch. went to a campground to get water while camping primitive in Land Between The lakes park in KY, many people came out of their campers, elvis has died! thought we were hallucinating. Ended up he did die while camping, stopped at an all night diner, Elvis songs playing on every radio station on the car ride. At the diner threw an Elvis song on the jukebox, we were the only guests there, took a bit to get our order as the waitress could not stop crying!

1 Like

At that time, the cost of operation for E95 was 91% higher than regular unleaded. 91%! No amount of emission reduction or superior MPGe was going to overcome that hurdle.

But 12:1 compression and 14% more power might!

I was flying home from a business trip to Japan at Narita. While I waited for my flight I was approached by a woman with a sample tray and a bottle of Japanese whiskey. I drank one of the sample shots and it was great. I asked how much the 750 ml bottle cost at the duty free store and she said $365 IIRC. Even at half that price I wasn’t buying but it was darned good.

1 Like

Actually, all those grades of gas have some ethanol in them. The 3 on the right are E10. All modern cars can use those 3. To use E15 it must be stated in the owners manual. E85 is only for “flex fuel” vehicles. I do not see any labels there indicating non-ethanol gas.

I agree they should not use green rubber shrouding for anything but diesel.

I have a lawnmower that’s over 20 years old with the original carb and used nothing but E-10 gas.

Out of curiosity, do you do things like empty the carb bowl and/or maybe shut off fuel and let it run dry? Or maybe an additive for ethanol?

Mine’s about 20 too - but at, probably, 5 or 6 I had to clean the carb. Of course, mine does often sit a lot and I’d be leaving the fuel in it. But after that, I put it on a strict diet of ethanol free (and always with SeaFoam added as stabilizer/cleaner). It’s been flawless ever since. I do the same with the generator, and have never had fuel system problems with it.

I use only the non-oxy with a stabilizer in my small engines. Took only a couple weeks on my mower to have to replace the pump before that. On my generator also the jet was all plugged up from regular gas. It’s a little more expensive but prolly don’t buy more than 20-30 gallons a year anyway. Suppose it depends on the station and the state but that’s what I do.

My mower sits all winter with gas in the carb. On my blower etc. I run the fuel out.