Must be getting senile, gas pump confusion

Thought the yellow handle was for yellow buttons.

Nope green handle for 87 octane.

1 Like

that is confusing.

Nothing wrong w/you. The color mismatch is what is causing the confusion. A downside that comes with an abundance of options.

Gasoline on the right side, ethanol on the left. My car is yellow, which fuel should I use?

2 Likes

Would the 93 octane be the yellow handle? Which handle for 89? It appears a button you have to push for e85 :frowning:

I’m agreeing with that just being plain old confusing. I see green handle and I think diesel. I actually think diesel even looking at the yellow handle - just b/c diesel can’s are “coded” yellow - even though that is typical for E85. (All of that corn, I guess). Of course, it’s obvious there’s no diesel there, but that gas pump should not be green.

And I know the diesel pump is easy to tell from it’s larger pipe size - but less attentive people will end up putting gasoline in the diesels. Ouch.

1 Like

The hose on the left is for ethanol, the color of the handle is not important.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 132741

1 Like

Yep, that’s why I don’t buy a kwik trip anymore. Gotta study the pump for five minutes to make sure you don’t get diesel or ;85. I think the pumps in Iowa and Wisconsin are the worst with pushing ethanol.

3 Likes

I agree. They even have an E85 label next to the handle as well as one below the handle.

It is bad graphic design to have the E85 and E15 with the same color shading. The E85 info should be clearly separated from the rest of the grades.

1 Like

With the grey background, I would expect both ethanol fuel selections to be dispensed from the hose on the left.

If someone tries to dispense regular unleaded from the ethanol hose, I doubt the pump would turn on after the “Regular” button is pressed.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call that the ultimate source of confusion. Green means diesel - virtually always. Except for BP, I guess. So I see green and I’m looking for something else (as I don’t have a diesel).

Don’t make too much of the post. There was no real question there or even serious confusion. I’m sure that @Barkydog got the appropriate fuel. As I would have. But I would have stood there for at least a little but scowling at the set-up. It’s dumb.

1 Like

Yes. In the 12 years I was a fuel retailer I would never have put a green nozzle on a gasoline hose. Do what you want with the dispensers and signage, but diesel gets a green nozzle and E85 gets yellow. It’s become a de facto custom that customers are so accustomed to that to use a green nozzle for gas invites problems.

When I had multi-hose gasoline dispensers I had red, white, and blue nozzles for the 3 different grades but that became an inventory nightmare trying to match grades to nozzles. So when I was able to go to single-hose I just used black for gas.

3 Likes

I agree with Green is for Diesel… I am more wondering how many younger diesel car owners (VW etc) will put gas in their diesel vehicles as the green handled nozzle will easily fit and basically has been the standard for a long time (and no I am not looking up the time line either)…

Which button would someone push for diesel fuel?
The green selection on the pump is regular unleaded gasoline, not regular diesel fuel.

But both come out of the left hose. It’s a legal requirement that you not put E15 or E85 in a car made before 2001 or 2008 or whatever the cutoff year is.

No pumps that I have seen have E15 and E10 dispensed from the same hose. I think it’s a legal requirement. Nearly the first quart will contain what was previously pumped.

Then the hose shouldn’t just say E85 under it. Maybe it says E15 out of the frame.

It wouldn’t cause a problem switching from E15 to E10.

I’m just saying, come on. Not everyone getting fuel is a car person or chemical engineer. They need to be labeled clearly for the general public. In large type, not little stickers that can’t be read at night.

150 miles away my wife stopped at a coop station. Of course they cater to ethanol. She put non-ethanol in and called to see if she made a mistake. No the car will love it.

Six buttons, two nozzles, three colors, come on. I couldn’t tell you the difference off the top of my head of e85, e15, e10, etc. then to put diesel on the same pump, and don’t tell me the nozzles are too big like the old days. Not always the case when I have looked in Hoboken. So big stickers at the top, not below the nozzle. Maybe arrows or something. Cousin is an army general in transportation. Put the wrong fuel in a rental. So a 70 year old lady is supposed to figure it ou? Plus a portion of the public is color blind and they all look brown.

4 Likes

We all get that. It’s not the point. You’re still over-stating the meaning of the post. No one here was so confused that they wouldn’t be able to get the appropriate gasoline.

But if you didn’t know which end was up (which applies to no one in this discussion, but does apply to many drivers), and you just matched “green” to “green” you’d be at 87 octane gasoline. But if you happened to be less astute, and wanted 93 octane maybe you would pick the yellow pump since the 93 octane is yellow on the pump. Would it fail to function in that case? Of course (Or probably). And then you’d just be more confused.

No one here needs an answer to what the “right” choice was. This is a bad set-up for a pump in terms of color coding.

2 Likes

You must push a button: 87 or 93. There have been discussions here about the fear of using the wrong octane is vehicles, suggesting people should know which octane to use.

Aren’t the fuel selection buttons backlit at night?

If both nozzles were black, would this discussion exist?