Hughes Net

Mike, Mike, Mike…

/Quote
To use the Cisco VPN Client, the following network ports must be opened in your firewall software:

•500 UDP
•4500 UDP
•10000 UDP
/EndQuote
http://helpdesk.illinoisstate.edu/kb/1156/Opening_firewall_ports_for_the_Cisco_VPN_Client/

That’s just one client.

I’ve been working on computers and computer networks since 1980. Built my first computer in 1977. I’ve been configuring routers and firewalls for the last 15 of those. If you want to get down and dirty on computer and network jargon, theory and the way they work, we can. Since you still refer to yourself as telecom, I must assume you came over from the phone side, which was very, very different than what the computer side was. Now, even your phone calls are over IP. I don’t even care what device you have in your home or office, once the call gets into the providers network, it’s all IP, mostly over SONET networks. So yes, we can go there, too, if you like.

/sigh.

I only have one line of trees, on the property line. Can’t cut them down, but something is killing them, so they will come down on their own I guess. Southern Yellow pines are not as bushy as those white pines you have.

I almost never had problems with any satellite I had in use. Granted, it was only a couple years (1 contract, a bit extended, Florida, move it to North Dakota), but it worked very well. Severe rain would impact it some, but not enough to make the picture un-viewable. Only once (during an actual hurricane in Florida, was the picture really bad. Snow on the dish didn’t seem to impact it very much, either. We watched in snow storms with only a bit of distortion.

Data connections are more touchy, though, and you’ll get re-transmissions if the data stream is interrupted (if 1 bit is missing, the packet has to be dropped and sent again). That can be from almost anything - trees waving in the wind, severe rain, snow, whatever can block the dish, or mangle the waves. A mesh dish can actually work better in some locales, like those with lots of rain.

When I worked installing Hughes Net. Set up VPN all the time. They have packages for that.
I don’t care if you have cable,DSL or sat. They all are playing games with bandwidth and have their limits. From watching TV shows and Movies to downloading music.

Hughes works fine for what you can do with it. If they would do away with the fap. It would be even better. If I could get cable or good DSL would I get Hughes? No I would not. But I have install Hughes were cable was at the home when I got there. The cable system was so slow that Hughes was like good cable and the cable was like dial up.

One more thing as satellite tech improves you will see it used more. Copper and fiber are getting costly to hang and bury. Satellites like the ones Hughes are using are spot beams now. WildBlue uses it too. WildBlue wants give you one dish and you will have phone tv and internet all in one. Once this happens big outages will less likely. Problems will limited to the home or the sat.

chaissos…chaissos…

Since you still refer to yourself as telecom, I must assume you came over from the phone side, which was very, very different than what the computer side was.

Partly…but we do design a little in this arena…I NEVER said SSL didn’t use port 443…what I said…is other protocols also use port 443…Yes you can disable SSL by denying access to port 443…but you can also deny access by just unplugging the network cable…Now if you can disable SSL WITHOUT disabling any all the other protocols…Typically port 443 is SSL…but NOT exclusively.

You can also configure SSL to use another port besides port 443. So just disabling the port won’t necessarily disable SSL.

OBM, what you say is true…I talked to a Verizon installer and he said the days of copper, fiber and cable are numbered…Phone, Internet, TV all by a single provider through a single wireless connection. He called it G-7 and G-9…Half the pole climbers have been laid off or retired and they are not spending a dime upgrading or maintaining the old copper wire system. Nobody under 30 owns or wants a hard-line telephone. The number of hard-line phones in service is dropping dramatically…The only thing keeping them going are the DSL lines…

chaissos…

After reading this…The way Keith explained it…blocking SSL…sounded like he’s talking about the SSL connection he makes to where he works…And that is going to be near IMPOSSIBLE to block…

However…internet providers will and do block port 443 and port 80 to YOUR home network. They don’t want you using it as business (i.e Mail server or web server). I know that Fios blocks those ports to YOUR house so you can’t run a internet company over their fiber system.

He called it G-7 and G-9…Half the pole climbers have been laid off or retired and they are not spending a dime upgrading or maintaining the old copper wire system. Nobody under 30 owns or wants a hard-line telephone.

There’s still going to be the need for wire…And I seriously doubt that wireless can handle ALL the bandwidth that’s going to all the houses today. I’ll agree very little money is being put into the wires that go to your house…but the infrastructure behind that…there’s a good deal of money being spent. If there wasn’t our company would NOT be in business.

Driving a good deal of the wireless communication is 3rd world countries. Many of the countries never had land lines to homes…Far far cheaper to put up a tower then to run lines to each and every house.

I never said SSL was exclusive to 443. I also never said you couldn’t run any security on any port you want to…you did that:

So if you block port 443 you’re blocking ALL secure communication.

Sound familiar?. :slight_smile: I know of no other clients that, by default, use 443 for secure communications. Care to share a couple with me? I’m looking for default ports here - not the ones you can reconfigure to use whatever port you want.

Having said that, if you DO disable (or block) 443 completely, then you will, in effect, be denying all of your customers access to the vast, vast majority of merchant websites where they may wish to purchase any item. Currently, the only sites that don’t use 443 for SSL (more correctly, SSL over TLS) are businesses who have re-configured their web services for their employees, such as access to remote e-mail. Which is a tangent to the thread, anyway.

Keith, I hope you get a service that works for you. They’re engineering new communication and compression algorithms all the time, to increase throughput and reliability. That should help some. Your typical cell phone call uses 4k (that’s it!) of bandwidth when you chat with someone. The digitization and compression algorithms that turn your voice into a data packet are built right into the phone. Since they’re also built onto a chip and hard coded in many phones, using an old phone can lead to less than acceptable performance over newer systems.

Since all your communication from the phone is data, it can be routed through the network in any way they see fit. Voice comm is always given priority (since it’s the only one where a human can “see” the difference), but regular data packets can also be sent over the same connection. This is how things are headed, so you can expect (eventually) to see nothing but wireless towers everywhere, with your voice and data to your provider being sent wirelessly.

The only thing that worries me about the wireless future is during emergencies. It’s far easier for a telecom company to power (on generators) a single point (the “central office”, or CO) which sends you dial tone, than it is to power every tower they have. Most of those towers don’t have direct connection to any backup power. Granted, that’s changing some, too. 9/11 and Katrina changed some of the legislature so that wireless providers are required to provide service during emergencies, but the scope is limited as to how long that power must be maintained. Long after Katrina, during power outages, only my hard-line phone actually worked. Our cells couldn’t find a tower, even though I had backup power and could keep them charged.

I’m back. It rained yesterday so I was unable to connect to this web site. It would start to connect, sometimes even download one or two items, then stall and finally drop. I could get to the cartalk homepage, but that took a long time to download.

I could get to every other website I normally visit and the downloads were only slightly longer than usual. I guess cartalk must have a lot of traffic or a very restricted bandwidth. I have noticed that this site always takes longer than most, you guys experiencing the same thing?

When I go to my brother in laws house and use his cable, this site does comeup a LOT faster.

Anyway, back to the security thing. My son tells me that it is not the download of Lion itself that is the problem. He bought the license to the OS through itunes. They download an encrypted key that allows him to download the OS on up to three computers and reinstall it on any of those should he need to.

continued next post/page

As a computer hobbiest , he often has to reinstall. He plays with the system, breaks it on occasion, calls Apple to relay the issue for future upgrades and then does a reinstall. Its the encrypted key that the system blocks from going to Apple.

This will now be the sixth time today that I have tried to send this reply. The Auto save draft feature has shut down the connection on occasion, the rest of the times, it just didn’t go through fast enough. Right now it is being block due to bad response from server because of the auto save draft feature, so I am going to have to save to clipboard, reload this page and then hope to paste and upload before it attempts another auto draft save.

That was the trick, I had to split it in two to get it to post and not crash into the auto draft save feature.

Update here. First a little apology to FoDaddy, I dismissed his idea a little too quickly. I had looked into the cell phone idea, but through the local cell phone providers and that was not going to work.

My HughesNet is getting progressively worse so the other day I was hitting the internet looking for the HughesNet phone number to call them about an upgrade. I googled them, clicked on their website, but nothing was happening. I played a little solitaire as I often do while waiting for a page to open. When I went back to check on the page after a couple of games, I noticed an ad for rural internet service using 3G in the upper right hand corner of the google page.

I clicked on it ant again, it would not open, but they had a 1-800 number so I called. Long story short, they think I should be able to get the 3g where I live with the regular antenna, but they have a high gain, roof mount antenna in case it doesn’t work. They have 3 MB/s download and unlimited use, no fair use policy. Its on the sprint network, but its not sprint like you would get from a sprint cell phone dealer.

The equipment is on the way for a 10 day trial, I’ll let you know. BTW $85/mo plus equipment. Upfront equipment is $250+$17 shipping. The high gain antenna will be extra if needed.

If HughesNet was working decently that day, I might be upgrading with them instead.

Quick update. I hooked up the Hughes Net again. It isn’t working any better but so far the cell phone system isn’t working at all. I got a call from their customer service today, but I was at my daughters at the time. I will call them tomorrow and see if we can figure out the problem. I have an excellent signal and everything looks good, but nothing downloads. It appears to me that the 3G in this area is overloaded too.

I’m using Hughes net right now and it is working okay…Certainly faster than dial-up but not as fast as a good DSL line …The service was lost a couple of times today because of satellite problems, but just a few minutes each time…

It was working for me for a little while today. I called the cell phone ISP and they were stumped as to why their system didn’t work, then about an hour later it started to work and it worked better than the satellite, except for a problem with this site. I am going to start another discussion about it.

That was this afternoon. Tonight the cell phone system is dead again so I will be on tech support again tomorrow. The satellite is barely working so I am using it now.

It’s all about bandwidth or lack thereof…EVERYTHING gets slow between 4pm and 7pm…

Well it looks like HughesNet was not completely at fault. We are using a router in our home network and it appears that the router is having problems. I could not get the Cyberonics system to work through the router at all, but its works pretty good on a direct connection.

So I connected my laptop directly to the HughesNet modem and wow, what a difference. While still no speed demon, I am getting about 300-400 Kbps. I am using speedtest.net to establish the speed. The Cyberonics (cell system) only gets me about 90 Kbps.

I just ran another speedtest and I got 540 Kbps through a heavy cloud cover.

Anybody know of anyone making a router WITHOUT built in wireless. We have a wireless system already and don’t want any interference.

You could check into a Cisco 800 series router. They’re strictly wired connections. The 831 is a great router. If required, I can assist with configuration files. I have 2 of them running now. Check eBay. They’re not that much, relatively speaking, and arguably some of the best routers on the planet.

Edit: The 871 has 10/100M WAN ports, the 831 is 10M on the WAN side only.