Do you remember the old Land Rover jeep?

+1
American Bantam did produce a small number of Jeeps, but they lost the production race to Ford & Willys. As a sort of consolation prize, the US military gave Bantam a contract to produce small trailers for Jeeps.

2 Likes

I found this picture of the Bantam design “Jeep”. It is a little funky like the Austin!

https://www.jeepfan.com/wp-content/gallery/bantamjeep-2015-75years/Bantam2015-111.jpg

2 Likes

In the mid 70s I was stationed in Utah. Many of us had 4X4s, I had an International Scout which climbed well but that 345 ci was a dog, traded in for a CJ5 with a 304. AMC, in their infinite wisdom, decided the 304 did not need a four speed, was only offered with a three speed.
Most popular at that time were the Blazers. Nobody called any vehicle a Jeep unless it was a Jeep.

If you googled “ Bob Marley Jeep”, they’ll show you the Land Rover in Jamaica.

As you can see from the image above, it is also written “ Jeep “ for the Land Rover.

Not saying a Land Rover is a Jeep but instead that’s what the Islanders refer to them as.

P.s. the island is famous for misrepresenting things due to lack of education.

Pink Jeep Tours in Nevada, it’s an off-road adventure theme. The larger vehicles in the fleet are built on a Ram 3500 chassis.

Wrangler Unlimited:

There was the Jeepney in the Phillipines for many years, originally based on Jeep parts but most were recycled Toyota engines and components with a locally made body and chassis.

The poorer folks in The Philippines still rely on Jeepneys for their transportation, but the improving economy has led to more car ownership (and extensive use of Uber, Lyft, and Grab for-hire cars), and some of the worst traffic jams to be found in any country.

When I was there, I was told that most of the Jeepneys were powered by Nissan diesel engines. Because the Jeepneys are estimated to contribute close to 50% of the air pollution in Metro Manila, there is now a push to replace older Jeepneys with cleaner, modern buses.

1 Like

I think it is more of a cultural thing more than it is an educational thing
 Even in the US there are differences in what things are called from North to South, even state to state and country folks to city folks, much less across large body’s of water
 lol

6 Likes

There are even differences within states, including small ones like NJ. The iconic cold cut in NJ is called either Taylor Ham or Taylor Pork Roll, depending on where one lives in NJ. The classic NJ diner breakfast is grilled Taylor Pork Roll/Taylor Ham, a fried egg, and a slice of melted cheese, on a hard roll. Yum!

Also, what is called a “Sub Sandwich” in most of NJ is referred to as a Hoagie in the areas closest to Philly.

Go figure!

2 Likes

I thought you North Jersey folks referred to hoagies as " Hero sandwiches".

Yes, you do sometimes hear that term, along with “sub sandwich”, but I am in Central NJ. I can’t say for sure what terminology is used in Northern NJ.

In our South Jersey lexicon, anything north of Trenton is North Jersey. The term Central Jersey is an artificial construct. :wink:

1980’s jeepney used japanese gas or diesel 4cyl, what they could import. Now they have better options.

[quote=“Mustangman, post:22, topic:194512, full:true”]
I found this picture of the Bantam design “Jeep”. It is a little funky like the Austin!

Clearly, it wasn’t a huge leap for American Bantam to go from its civilian car design to that of the original Jeep. This is a 1938 American Bantam (sans 4WD, of course):

1 Like