At higher speed

In any event, if the OP works for a US-based company, I am amazed that he was able to secure a job despite having such poor English skills.

Sorry to be nasty, but in the large international corporation where I worked until retirement he would be a typical line supervisor with those poor English skills. They were pathetic.

A couple years ago, I saw a book review by a man who wrote explaining why the dumbest people got promoted first.

Sounds somewhat like The Dilbert Principle. Per its author, Scott Adams:

I wrote The Dilbert Principle around the concept that in many cases the least competent, least smart people are promoted, simply because they’re the ones you don't want doing actual work. You want them ordering the doughnuts and yelling at people for not doing their assignments—you know, the easy work. Your heart surgeons and your computer programmers—your smart people—aren’t in management.

Obviously cynical, but I’ve had some very sharp and some not so sharp bosses. I’ve also heard the statement: “It’s rarely true that the best engineer makes the best manager of engineers…two different skill sets.” Hard to argue against that.

“Sorry to be nasty, but in the large international corporation where I worked until retirement he would be a typical line supervisor with those poor English skills.”

That’s not being nasty, and it is probably just a case of telling it like it is.
Coming from the field of education, I can tell you that most school principals are former gym teachers who can barely write a complete sentence with no mistakes, and are usually unable to utter a sentence without disgracing themselves.

I thought that it was only in the field of education where the less literate are the most likely to receive promotions, but apparently it also happens in private industry.

they get promoted because they blindly follow even the dumbest directives from above without questions, in my experience

I think this one’s gone off-track, but then again, as a mattmro special, was it ever really on-track? I am closing it, because I don’t think anything else useful to mattmro, wherever he is summering, will be added.