Honda CRV Tire Problem

Do you happen to have the print out from the alignment, so that you can provide the rear alignment specs? I know that some companies have lower end car models (Nissan Sentra, for instance) where the camber was too extreme from the factory, and it produced the same type of wear pattern you are complaining about.

These vehicles typically are beam type rear axles, where as your CR-V is a fully independent suspension, I believe.

The one issue I believe we are going to run into is your vehicle is quite tall, and has a decent amount of suspension travel. As you lean through corners, if you are a fairly aggressive driver, the tire on the outside of the curve (left rear for a right curve) is going to transfer more of the weight to the outside of the tire tread, reducing the amount carried on the inside of the tread. The inside tire, on the other hand, is going to transfer more of its load to the inside of the tire, and even less to the outside.

This is what causes the increased inside tire cupping on most vehicles with large amounts of camber.

If we alter the camber settings on a vehicle with long suspension travels when the vehicle is static, we will alter the cars handling when the car is cornering. If you eliminate all the camber, and make the tires flat on the road surface, when you are taking that same corner, then the inside tire is scrubbing less, but the outside tire is having to work harder on its outside edge.

What you might want to ask is if the alignment shop can decrease the rear camber settings half as much as what Honda recommends without the use of the camber kit. If they can, then do that. If they can’t, then you will need to camber kit.

Also, if the vehicle is 4WD, the toe setting becomes important to the equation. It will need to have some toe-in to counteract the acceleration forces produced by the drive-line thrust. If its a FWD vehicle, then rear toe isn’t nearly as important, unless it changes under cornering.

If it were my car, I would start with different tires, that might react differently to cupping and miles put on them. If your biggest complaint is road noise after the tires have worn, different tires might be the better answer.

If its excessive inside wear, then alignment changes are going to need to be taken into consideration, and care will need to be made to the settings to take your driving style, and roads typically traveled, without reducing safety in the vehicle handling characteristics. You should look for the best alignment shop you can find, and discuss your vehicle’s tire wear patterns and your driving conditions to ultimately get the best advice and service for your vehicle.

Honestly, look for a shop that specializes in sports cars, if possible.
Much better than going to your typical Goodyear/Firestone/Pep Boys type of place.

BC.