Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

1 quart every 1000 miles

I have a 03' Montana 3.4 with 55,000 miles on it. It is using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. There is no oil in my driveway and does not smell. I have not had much luck working with Pontiac or my dealer. Should I:

A- Trade this van.

B- Have them take the engine apart.

C- Just keep driving it.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited November 2007
    C- Just keep driving it. Keep the oil at the proper level. Your could still get another 100k as long as you don't let the oil get to low.
  • edited November 2007
    Has it always used this amount of oil sense new? Is there documentation of that? Could you have possibly been the cause of the vehicle burning oil by the lack of timely oil changes, and or letting the oil level get down low enough to cause engine damage? All questions needing answered before a good response can be made.
  • edited November 2007
    I would go with option C. Some years back, 1 quart per thousand miles was considered normal. I had a Ford Maverick that I drove practically forever that used 1 quart per thousand miles. My brother had a 1977 Cadillac that used a quart every 900 miles. He bought the car used with about 55,000 miles and sold it with over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The oil consumption never went up.
  • edited November 2007
    Automobile manufactures consider 1 quart of oil/1000 miles consumption as being normal.

Tester
  • edited November 2007
    If the truck has sufficient power, does not smoke, does not drip oil on you driveway, just keep driving it. Old style Jaguars with the straight 6 were designed to burn a quart overy 1000 miles, and had a 7 quart oil sump. An engine overhaul will cost you a great deal, and since the oil you put in will not be expesnive (you are "changing" it every 4000 miles or so by topping it up), this is your best bet. If you live in an area where annual emission tests are required, keep your fingers crossed, but I doubt if it will fail because of the oil consumption. This is a good application of Wallmart house brand oil of the right grade, since you are constantly replenishing the additives by topping it up. Remember, OIL IS CHEAP!, every other option is expensive!
  • edited November 2007
    Are you using 5w-20 oil? Try 10-30 in the winter, 10-40 in the summer.

But for sure option "C" is the way to go...
  • edited November 2007
    It started using Oil around 40,000 miles. The low oil light came on which was the first sign of problems. It has not been low on oil since. It seems to be staying around a qaurt every 1000 miles. I was having the oil changed every 5000-6000 miles but have went to every 3000 miles since this porblem started. Is there an additive you would recomend?
  • edited November 2007
    I drove a 1980 Monte Carlo for close to 10 years that ate up a quart of oil every 2 weeks. Blue smoke out the tail pipe every morning and a teaspoon on the ground wherever I parked but it never stopped running.
  • edited November 2007
    Has the PCV valve ever been changed. A sticking PCV may cause greater oil consumption. This was the problem with my pickup.

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articleviewer.asp?pg=ccr20050101pv&cccid=2&scccid=3

Ed B.
  • edited November 2007
    You might try a different brand of oil, but use the weight specified in your owner's manual. On one car I owned, the oil consumption went from 1 quart per 1000 miles to 1 quart per 1200 miles when I switched from Sunoco to Valvoline. I only switched because Valvoline was on sale at the time. I certainly wouldn't have the engine torn down for 1 quart per 1000 mile oil consumption. It might be even worse when it is put back together.
This discussion has been closed.