Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Door makes a clunk sound when it is opened or closed

2005 Chevy Malibu

When the driver side door is opened there is a clunk sound about half way through the swing. When the door is closed there is a couple clunks then a thud. The sound is coming from the front of the door.

What is causing this and does it mean big trouble soon?
Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I think your hinge bushings a wearing out.
  • Thanx!

I sprayed lithium grease on the hinges and that arm that goes into the door this morning but no change.
  • By the way, what is that arm thing anyway? I figured it just keeps the door from flying across the street.
  • but the bushings are wearing out. possibly the pins too.
    Lubing them won't change their egg shape.
    Time for new hinges, probably both, or pin/bushing kits.
  • The arm thing does stop the door from flying accross the street. and it probably has a detent or two as you'll notince the door will stay about half way open as well.
  • Thanx for explaining.

Are the hinges something I can replace myself?
  • edited June 2011
    A fairly big DIY job even though the hinges are just nuts and bolts.
    A door is quite heavy and the right tools are welcome.
    A separate jack that will hold the door in alignment should be used.
    Could also be a two man job.

The hardest part is the alignment after installation. Fore/ aft..up/down...AND tilt angle.

Although I could myself, This is a job I'd take to my body shop where they have the jig to hold the door in position as they work. My body man Henry would make it a twenty minute job.
  • Thanx, Ken!

That's what I was afraid of.
  • I finally saved up enough to have the door hinges replaced but it turned out to be the "door check assembly" that was making the clunk sound when ever I opened or closed the door. What I earlier called "the arm thing that goes inside the door". $168 material and 1 hour labor.
  • doesn't sound like too much, but I've never priced out body work before. Glad everything is OK now
This discussion has been closed.