Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Fluid for Jeep Transfer Case

We own a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We take our Jeep to an independant garage for servicing. It is time to once again change the fluid in the transfer case. The Jeep Dealer refuses to order or sell the necessary fluid to the garage of our choice. I have never been happy with the service from the dealer (Several thousand $ spent and still a air conditioning and heating that doesn't work correctly) but I have never heard of a dealer who won't provide parts or fluid. Is this common?


  • edited March 2009
    Why don't you go and buy the fluid yourself? Then you can bring the fluid to the repair shop of your choice.

    I find it hard to believe they won't sell to a repair shop, it's how they make money. There has to be more to this story, like the repair shop never paid their bills or were always late in paying when they got parts from the dealer. I have seen that happen to repair shops, they get cut off because they don't pay on time.
  • edited March 2009
    The dealer is getting a couple other Jeep parts for our mechanic to do repairs so I think there isn't a problem with billing. My DH called to order the fluid and the Jeep dealer refused to order it for him, too. Believe me, we definately pay our bills on time. The dealer says we need to come in to their shop to have the work done. I can't see why we need to do that, except so they can charge us more.
  • edited March 2009

    Jeep doesn't make the transfer case gear oil. They sell it, but they don't make it. You can buy the same gear-oil or BETTER at Wall-Mart. What does the Owners Manual say???
  • edited March 2009
    Read the owners' manual to find the correct fluid and buy it at an auto parts store. Just make sure you get the correct fluid. One of the transfer cases does require special fluid (the NV247, which is used in the Quadra-Trac II and the Quadra-Drive systems).

    Will the parts department sell you the fluid if you just walked up to the counter and asked for a couple quarts? You could also simply contact a different Dodge, Jeep or Chrysler dealer to see if they will sell it.

    Sounds to me like you need to find a new mechanic anyways.
  • edited March 2009
    Transfer case fluid doesn't need regular changing like engine oil, or even like transmission fluid. What reason are they giving for it needing this done?
  • edited March 2009
    The 2000 JGC does need the fluid in the transfer case changed. It's in the scheduled maintance in the book and it's time. With the tough economic times we are more limited with dealerships around here. The local jeep dealership now owns the dodge dealer in town and the jeep dealer in the next town has closed. The book says we need Mopar Automatic Transmission fluid or equivalant labeled Dextron III. The dealer says we need fluid that we can only get there.....which they don't want to sell us unless we get it changed there.
  • edited March 2009
    I would think another MOPAR dealer would sell the right stuff to you.

    If not, have your mechanic look at this link. He needs to make sure he is ordering the right stuff for your vehicle. I

    If you need only Dexron III, then that is available at all parts stores. If you want to upgrade, Dexron VI is available and backwards compatible. It is a synthetic fluid, much "improved" (both price and performance-wise) than Dexron III.

    Re-confirm that the requirement is for Dexron III. No need to buy that at a dealer, and readily available at all auto parts stores.

    Many name brands are selling Dexron III as a Dexron/Mercon universal ATF, because GM, the licensor for Dexron, no longer licenses the production of any of the Dexron III fluids on the market, so on a very technical basis, the fluid is not available anywhere else. That said, the UTF meeting Dexron III specs is what I used (and is spec'd for my ATs).

    I am also disappointed your independent mechanic is not aware of the Dexron requirement and where to obtain fluids meeting the correct spec.
  • edited March 2009
    Seriously? Never seen that on any 4WD vehicle....of course none of them have been a JGC, so there we are.

    I can tell you that the dealer is yanking your chain. Dexron III trans fluid is available in any half-decent auto parts store.
  • edited March 2009
    Dextron III is hardly scarce. Any autoparts store will have it in stock.
  • edited March 2009
    Most T-cases use ATF and DexIII is available anywhere. If your owners manual says Dex3 then that's simple enough. How many miles on the jeep? You don't need to do this very often..
This discussion has been closed.