ZAP Xebra truck

Are these vehicles low-maintenance? Do they trulhave a 40 mile range before recharging? Should I buy one?

Is This An Ad For ZAP Xebra Trucks? Why Would Anyone Considering Buying One?

OK, OK … I Took A Look.

Please explain your unique situation whereby a truck that carries approximately 500 pounds, gets up to 25 miles on a charge, goes up to 40 mph, and costs $12,500, and is classified as a 3-wheeled motorcycle, can be beneficial to own. What would the pay-back in fuel savings be? This is classified as a “zero emmissions vehicle”. What if the elctricity happens to come from a gas or coal fired generating plant, as does most of our electricity? You are only moving the emissions to someplace else, maybe my neighborhood. Personally, I have no use for anything even remotely like this.

Since they are taking reservations, rather than selling vehicles, it’s hard to estimate how much maintenance they will require. My guess is that their simplicity will make them easy to take care of, but who knows about quality. They might be very cheaply built and not very strong. Too many unknowns.

I’m sure they measure the range under ideal conditions. As with an internal combustion vehicle, “your mileage may vary.”

It’s your money. I’d want to know how easily one can be licensed for street use.

One thing to consider, a three-wheel vehicle with the single wheel in front is a very unstable configuration. I predict these will be easy to roll, especially if there is any weight in the bed of the truck. Look at the sporty “Alias” model. Notice how it has two wheels in front? This is significantly more stable.

“One thing to consider, a three-wheel vehicle with the single wheel in front is a very unstable configuration. I predict these will be easy to roll, especially if there is any weight in the bed of the truck. Look at the sporty “Alias” model. Notice how it has two wheels in front? This is significantly more stable.”

Exactly…there was a reason that three wheel off roaders were replaced by 4 wheelers.

If you need to haul 500 lbs for less than 25 miles at less than 40 mph…I would get a small aluminum utility trailer. Even less maintenance and just $1K in price.

I’m a huge fan of two passenger electric commuter vehicles (see EV1)…electrics for other applications, are not ready for prime time.

I suspect all the “up tos” aren’t compatible. In other words, I don’t think you can go 40 mph for 25 miles while carrying 500 points, so it’s a pretty big unknown how much payload and speed will affect range and if the range is going to be acceptable in whatever your particular application is. Also, charge time should be considered as well.

You make salient points.

I’m looking for a vehicle I can drive alone to work. Weekly errands to and from work include trash runs and groceries. My hubby would continue to drive a small station wagon which could be used for all other purposes.

My goals are to save money in the orignal purchase price and in fuel and maintenance costs. How can I decrease my carbon footprint with my commute? The roads are too busy (45-55mph highway with no shoulder) for bike riding. I do not live near a co-worker to ride share and our county has no public transport. Suggestions???

You State That " The roads are too busy (45-55mph highway with no shoulder) for bike riding."

Driving one of these on a road like this at a top speed of 40mph might just leave something worse than a “carbon footprint”! You could be pureed by traffic! I would feel very nervous during my entire commute in one of these. I could possibly see driving one of these at a golf course or a gated community in Florida, but not a highway. I would go to plan B.