Wow!

http://peo…shb/12cyl/

See what you can do when you set your mind to it?! I didn’t see a starter. I supposed it’s possible to start such an engine by firing each cylinder until the engine (I know it’s a diesel) got up to speed at 102 rpm. If it took 5 minuets to start, this way, it wouldn’t matter.

Impressive aren’t they. I shipped for a while in the engine room as an engineer, and servicing the engine is pretty interesting, actually climbing in the cylinders to clean the piston, and using a 5 inch grinder with wire brush to clean the valve seat. The engines of this size are started using high pressure air, there is no starter, the just pump in high pressure air into the cylinders at TDC, and its exhausted normally on the upstroke. That and they have to be stopped and restarted to go into reverse, which only takes 15 seconds or so.

Holy crap! It is incredible. Thanks for the link! Rocketman (what’s it used to power anyway?)

That is impressive. Thanks for sharing.

rocketman, I think it powers large container ships according to the info on the page.

I saw a segment about these engines on TV s few months back. They’re beyond my comprehension. I’ll bet THEY read the owner’s manual(s)!

Impressive. Unfortunate that it won’t fit under the hood of my car! I have to wonder – is this thing assembled “in place” in the ship, or do they build it in a factory and lower it into the engine room in one piece?

Did you hear about the ship with an overheating engine? Yeah, they found a whale stuck in the cooling jacket!

Yup, It’s a marine LSD (low speed diesel).

Did you notice the brake specific fuel consumption #'s? 0.26 at max efficiency. Compare that to 0.45 or so for your average 4 cylinder:) Pretty impressive indeed.

Did you hear about the ship with an overheating engine? Yeah, they found a whale stuck in the cooling jacket!

My brother had a cooling problem with his boat…A STAR FISH was stuck in the cooling inlet. Same idea…just 10,000 times smaller. I’ll have to tell him that one…

It’s STILL impressive when I look at it a third time! I wonder what viscosity motor oil it uses?