Won't start unless lock-unlock

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla with 25k miles on it.

Yesterday something strange happened for the first time. I unlocked the car (double-clicking the button to unlock all 4 doors, out of habit), got in, turned the key in the ignition, and the dash and console flickered repeatedly while I held down the ignition but the engine wouldn’t turn and it wasn’t make any noise suggesting it was trying to after an initial sound. I found that if I got out, locked the car, and unlocked it once, that the car would then start (although it had to turn for a couple seconds longer than usual).

Then, a couple hours later when I came back to the car, the same thing happened again.

Note that I could turn the radio on and lights on even though the car wouldn’t start - so its not the battery - and the tank is full.

The car drove normally once it was running.

Today it seems to be behaving normally, but I’m wondering if I should be concerned - if I should take it to get checked out while I’m still able to drive it.

Does anyone know what might be going on? Could it have to do with the computer? The security system? Some sensor?

Thanks for any advice!

This is typical of a Toyota security system that has been set off. Using the key to lock and unlock is the security system reset. Maybe a prankster set off the alarm after you parked it.