Won't go forward in the morning

Hi,
I have a 1999 Mazda Protege. In the mornings when I start my car, it revs in park, but the rpms go down when I put it into reverse and back out of my spot. When I put the car in drive, however, it will not go forward for at least 5 seconds (time has been increasing). I can press the gas and the engine will rev, but it takes a long time to actually get my little car moving forward. Is this a new transmission problem? Thank you so much to anyone who can help me. I love this car and live in fear of having to replace it.

Is this an automatic transmission? If it is then check you transmission fluid level. If it is okay then I would think about adding a can of Berryman’s B12 Chemtool to your transmission. I have used it with great success for years. It is not a repair but it may give your Protege a little more life for very little money.

Thank you, I will try it. It is an automatic transmission… I’m afraid it might be going?

I used the Berryman’s in my wife’s 93 Olds Cutlass Ciera 3 years ago. The vehicle has another 33,000 miles and it and it’s still going strong. It was slow going into reverse and would not go into drive until the engine warmed up. No problems over the last 3 years.

Trans-X also makes a product that has fixed this type of trouble. Sticky valves inside the tranny I believe.