I have a 2006 Jetta with 85k miles on it. When I have the clutch in, going around corners to the left, I hear a very swishy sound that sounds like “wish wish wish wish”…It seems to be coming from the front. It can only be heard with the radio off. This started about a month ago. Seems to be getting gradually worse, but not exponentially.
Couple of details:
- Recently (3 months ago) started a very break-heavy commute (moved from Boston to LA- had car shipped)
- Had the breaks redone about a year (20k) miles ago
- Someone misjudged the angle at which they could pull in to a parking space recently and scraped along the back quarter and tire but i’ve had it checked out and have been told that the damage is purely cosmetic
- Recently was going over a speed bump (the wider and softer version known as “speed humps” here in the LA area) and thought i heard a sucking-“POP”…I was hoping this meant the sound would go away, but it didn’t.
- Most of this car’s life was spent parked on city streets in the South End of Boston. It’s only been since I moved to LA, with garages and parking lots every where that it has started to “age”…(yes, I drive a lot more)
I don’t have a mechanic yet in the area (SF Valley, between Studio City and Woodland Hills) and want to have a good idea of what I’m talking about before I go in to chat.