Winshield inspection

My truck windshield has a very narrow crack that is nowhere near the line-of-sight. Would this fail inspection in your state? (I am in VA.)

Virginia laws have detailed restrictions on the size and type of cracks allowed on windshields:

• Scratches greater than 6 inches by ÂĽ are not permitted in area cleared by windshield wipers
  • Any cracks larger than 1 by ½ inches in diameter may not be above bottom three inches of the windshield
  • Multiple cracks from the same area where any is greater than 1 to ½ inches long are not permitted
  • Multiple cracks starting from a star crack above bottom three inches of the windshield are not permitted.

Virginia laws also prohibit driving with impaired or obstructed view of the road. No stickers or other objects may be attached to car windshields which prevent clear view of the road.

check to see if you have full glass coverage on your vehicle policy. if you do just get it replaced for free.

Or fixed if it’s not too big and not at the edge

In NJ, it would pass with flying colors, ever since former Governor Chris Christie eliminated everything–except an emissions check and a documents check-- from the state car inspection process.

When I went for inspection shortly after that revision, I asked one of the inspectors about the new situation, and he said that if you drove in with no windshield, bad brakes, and bald tires, he would still have to issue a passing sticker as long as the vehicle’s emissions were okay.

in NY it’s the opposite. They have not checked my emission in at least 5 years that I can remember.

Do they check if the CEL is lit?

yes, they do. but they don’t put it on the emission machine and go through all the tests like they use too. and it will pass if the abs light is on.

I suspect that they do, in order to qualify for Federal highway funds.
When I stated that NJ checks emissions, what they do is to plug their equipment into the diagnostic port in order to detect if any codes are present, but they don’t do that if the CEL is lit up, and in that case, the vehicle automatically fails the inspection.

1 Like

Same here, now that all cars '96 on have OBDII. They just plug into the port and read for any errors. Used to be older cars had to go through the emissions test, don’t know if they still do.

In NJ, they still do. If someone drives in with an older–pre OBD II–car, they use the wand in the tailpipe test.

Untrue. They hook the vehicle up through the OBD II port. Too many unready monitors (varies by model year, with fewer allowed the newer the vehicle) and you fail. An illuminated CEL is an automatic failure. The only exception for emissions testing is the frst inspection after a new car enters service. I don’t know the procedure for older vehicles.

I said they do this, but they do not put the wand in the tailpipe and run all the tests like they use too.

Wouldn’t that be unnecessary in an OBD-II vehicle?

You sure about that? Safety and emission inspections are required in NY.

New York DMV | New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program (ny.gov)

we only do emissions checks here in AZ. no safety inspection.

all I am saying is in the last 5 years, probably longer. whenever I had to get any of my vehicles inspected, they hook up to the OBD2 port but they have not put the wand in the tailpipe. and they have not done that to anyone else I know with their vehicles. now whether they are all doing it wrong or not can be a different matter.

know that they are testing your emissions by hooking up to the OBDii port. The testers are using the vehicles computer to see if everything is working as it should be.

in AZ, I think cars newer than 2006 (??) and under 8,000 lbs GVW get the ODBii test. Everyone else runs the dyno with the tailpipe tester.

If they test, it is an EPA problem enforced by highway funds or the state just decided they’d test.

Many states don’t test at all and they still get fed funds for highway.

2 Likes

Okay, I’m sure that you’re correct.
I recall that our esteemed former Governor retained the emission testing in order to continue to receive federal highway funds. That is probably related to the state’s traffic density and the resultant air pollution.