Windstar transmission failed...sometimes

The transmission in our '98 Ford Windstar has failed…sometimes. I went to back it out of the garage and the motor would rev, but no movement of the vehicle. I put it in drive and had the same results. When I put it in 2 it would move. Only in 1 or reverse is it dead. I changed the transmission fluid and filter (Fluid did not looked burned) and it ran fine. After a couple of days, same symptoms. After sitting about a week, I started it up and it acted fine. I drove it about a block. When I attempted to start from a stop sign…no movement. I put it in 2 and drove away.

Due to the age of this vehicle, I don’t want to spend a LOT of money to get it fixed. Overall, it is in fairly nice condition. Any suggestions on what my next move should be?

Unfortunately, I don’t see anything other than a trans overhaul in your immediate future.
Whether this is economically logical with a 15 year-old vehicle is something that you will have to decide, but I can tell you that I wouldn’t spend that much money on a vehicle that is this old.

Your next move should be to take the vehicle to a local independent trans shop for evaluation. Do not go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or any other chain unless you want to be sold more extreme (and more expensive) repairs than are really necessary.

i think it could be something simple . do you have any codes or is the cel on at all?

After 15 years, I gave my Windstar an oil (fluid) change and now it acts like a new machine, with 198,000 miles.