Windscreen fluid lever works the opposite way

I drive a 2018 Seat Ibiza FR. I have recently been in an accident and since I have had my car back the windscreen fluid seems to work in reverse. So when i pull the lever towards me it’s spray the back fluid but turns the front wipers on and when I push the lever away from me it spray the front and turns the back wipers on. Any advice would be greatly an appreciated! Also unsure if this will effect the outcome of my MOT due in 3 days. Thank you!

I am guessing that you are a Brit and the MOT is your yearly inspection…

In Britain, the Ministry of Transport (MOT) inspection, by law, must be made each year on all road vehicles that are more than 3 years old, in order to check that they are safe to drive. Is this something like your car?

If this is so, you need to realize that most of the members on this web site are Yanks, living in the US and may not have any knowledge of the requirements of the MOT Inspection. I know it involves a gaggle of checks on your car, ranging from the brakes and fuel system to lights, mirrors, seatbelts, windscreen wipers, and exhaust system.

But here in the states, they do check the wipers, but not the windshield washers and if or how they spray… So you should be safe… But you can always call the inspection station and ask…

As a side note, if your car was repaired by a collision service center (body shop…), I would guess that they disconnected the wiring and reconnected it wrong, go back to them and have them straighten it…

Good Luck, Tally Ho, Pip-Pip, Jolly-Good, and all that other good natured stuff…

1 Like

If the car was in an accident, the washer fluid reservoir may have needed to be removed/replaced

And if the front and rear washers share the same reservoir, the hoses may have been crossed when the reservoir was reinstalled.

Tester

3 Likes

The windshield washer pump is a reversable motor, the rotation direction changes for front/rear. The hoses need to be installed in the correct position for front/rear operation.

3 Likes

Yes I’m a Brit and this is our yearly inspection!

That is my car and it was repaired by a body shop. I was just unsure if it was an easy fix I could do myself rather than having to return to the garage. I appreciate your response on this. Maybe it’s just best I head back to the garage and let them sort it.

Not possible to get there before my MOT however your research regarding this hopefully means it shouldn’t be an issue.

Thank you!

1 Like

Is this an easy fix or would it require a garage?? I’m just thinking whether I could do it myself rather than making the drive back to the garage.

Thank you!