Window Tint - yay or nay?

DON’T GET IT CHECKED BY POLICE!
Guy bought a rental vehicle.
Asked Aurora Police if they would check if it was too dark.
They said drive it over.
Was too dark and they gave him a ticket.
He had to pay a fine or go to court.

I have to make sure to clean the windows off and start my wife's car every morning so she can go work.

Try the patented RG-incandescent-floodlights-shining-up-into-the-vehicle!
Cheap - makes use of spotlights replaced by LEDs, and keeps the vehiclengine warm and at-the-ready!
With clothespins and Goodwill bed sheets, cover the windows and cover the hood and grill.
Can also be used to cover the vehicle if parked outside during work.

okay . . .

:tongue:

Has anyone mentioned there are laws regarding tinting windows and windshields in every state?

Check your state’s laws here

I paid someone to put tint on my front windows, a business that specializes in tinting. Haven’t had any problems in the few years I’ve had it done. Not sure what lever it is, I just told them to put the legal tint level on there- they knew what it was.

You guys got me thinking about the very dark window tint on all windows (except windshield) on that Grand Prix (pictured) I recently bought. I’m not sure how the tint was done or where it was done. It looks factory and has no scratches or any blemishes.

I live in a very rural area and police generally mind their own business, but you guys made me nervous with the dark windows. I checked and my state doesn’t allow front window tinting. They have a Medical Exception to the law if a driver has the document.

Last Thursday I had my annual full-body (head to toe) check-up at the Dermatologist’s. (My daughter got me doing this and I strongly recommend it to everybody. Catching problems early can save your life.) Anyhow, I did a little research and read that national cancer organizations recommend UV protection and window tinting in homes and cars.

So, I asked the doctor about this and he was into window tinting! He said he has very dark tint on his car windows and has never had a problem with citations, etcetera, but he offered to write me a prescription for window tinting for my protection from sun and I accepted.

I now carry the document with the car registration. I’m not nervous about it any more. The doctor’s nurse even photographed my prescription and put it in my medical chart, should anybody question it.

How can I tell how these windows were tinted? The tint looks factory, but can that be?
CSA

You could get a rought idea with a photographic light meter or camera that can function as one.
Aim at a uniform object with vs without the window in the path.
A one stop difference is 50%.

@circuitsmith
Thanks, I have a Gossen Luna-Pro light meter from my old days of photography. It was top-drawer at the time, very sensitive (moonlight) and accurate. Maybe, I’ll give that a try.

Do you know how to tell if the tint is factory or how it was tinted?
CSA

Factory tint is part of the glass, aftermarket is an applied film, so you should be able to see an edge if it’s aftermarket.

Is car light colored? White? Are cops annoying in your town? Cops don’t care?