Window and Gas

Hi, I have a 1998 Nissan Sentra and have two weird problems with this possessed vehicle.

1) The window is sticking. Its a power window and the problem went from intermittent to where it doesn’t even work 90% of the time. Pushing against the window or pulling it while using the button doesn’t fix the problem.

2) My gas doesn’t go in my tank all at once. Its as if there is some sensor telling the pump that the tank is full because it only goes in 8 cents at a time and then the trigger opens on me and I have to put another 8 cents or so in? I’ve applying every level of pressure possible but it seems to not be related to rate of flow.

Please Help!

1. Go to a recycle yard (wrecker) and find a working power window switch for that door.

If it’s not the switch then the window is binding or the regulator or motor needs checking. Take off the door panel to access.

1. You MAY have a plugged or kinked/damaged vent hose or line.

Do you get a CEL on after filling up?

On the fuel issue, are you in the habit of topping off the tank? You could have caused the problem. It may take a new part (canister) to fix it. Do you have any CELs? (Check engine light codes?)

The car talk guys mentioned something about this a few shows back. Constant topping off will result in the premature death of a canister. That may be the issue here.

The gas filler tube has a safety valve that closes off the tank in the event of a car roll-over. Sounds like this valve is stuck in the closed position… perhaps due to over-filling the tank. You may need to remove the filler tube to get at the stuck valve.

The window problem could be the switch, the motor, the track, or the mechanism. Only testing of separate components can determine where the problem is.

My sister has a '98 Sentra, and the filler pipe on her car collapsed and would not allow more than a dribble of fuel into the tank. A new filler pipe solved the problem.

Nope, I haven’t seen any CEL’s and I don’t top off the tank generally.

Thanks I can probably get my son to do this… Where is the gas filler tube located on the vehicle?

The filler pipe is right there where you put the gas nozzle into the gas tank. Try opening the gas filler pipe with a flexible rod pushed down into the filler neck. If that doesn’t do it, then, replacing the gas filler pipe is the next step. The procedure may be covered in the Haynes, or Chilton’s repair manual.