Wind noise from closed sunroof

I am considering purchasing a used 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L that has a sunroof. When I test drove it the sunroof sounded as though it was partially open even though it was closed. Opening and closing the sunroof did not solve the issue. Nor did cleaning out the sunroof tracks. Before committing to purchase this vehicle I would like to know if there is a way to fix the noise issue from the sunroof?

Before commiting to purchase of this vehicle, you need to resolve the question of whether this vehicle was previously in a collision so severe that it deformed the structure of the vehicle. Yes, it is possible that adjustment of the sunroof mechanism might resolve the issue, but it is equally possible that this vehicle has been in a serious collision, and what you are hearing is the inevitable result of a vehicle that could not be restored to a perfect, pre-collision condition.

In case you think that Carfax or other reporting services will give you accurate information on this possible issue, think again. The amount of information that is omitted, or inaccurately reported, on those Carfax documents is…massive.

Since used cars are not in short supply–why take chances on what could be evidence of serious collision damage?

@VDCdriver, if Carfax is omitting that information, how can I find out if the vehicle was in a major collision? The Carfax report was clean…

@monstersalvage, how would I know which parts I would need?

Thank you!

Best case, the sunroof can be adjusted for a better fit in the opening. Is there any hesitation or binding in the mechanism when the sunroof is opened or closed? From experience a sunroof is more trouble than it’s worth. Any needed repairs to the sunroof will be labor intensive and expensive. Note, don’t expect an SUV to be as quiet as a sedan.

I have a sunroof in my 2000 Chevrolet Blazer. For instance, there are two torx screws on the each of the rails that allow for adjustment of the glass position in the roof opening. I haven’t had an issue with sunroof noise in the 9 years I’ve had the Blazer. I’ve removed the sunroof several times to repair or lubricate the mechanism and didn’t notice any difference in the noise level after I reinstalled the glass.

As usual, VDC’s suggestion is a good one, do you have a trusted mechanic/body shop that would inspect the Pilot? Take a Carfax report with a grain of salt, I only use them to rule out a vehicle.

I suspect monstersalvage’s post is spam.

Ed B.

I wouldn’t buy a used car with an obvious problem. If the past owner neglected to fix something like this, what else did they neglect?

If it is an electric sunroof, it might not be closed properly. Sometimes the electric switch operates so that you keep your finger on the switch until the motor stops. If you take your finger off the switch too soon, you might think it’s closed when it really isn’t.

I agree with those who say you should move on to another vehicle if this isn’t easily and quickly resolved. There are a lot of used cars to choose from, so why make life difficult by choosing one if it has an obvious problem? If this is the only 2005 Honda Pilot on the lot, go to another lot.

Personally, I don’t buy vehicles with sunroofs because of the loss of headroom and because if you keep a vehicle long enough, you will eventually have issues with the sunroof, like leakage, clogged drains, mechanical failure, etc.

As Ed B. suggests, this vehicle–just like any used vehicle that you are considering–should be taken to a mechanic of your choosing. When it is up on a lift, a good mechanic can usually spot evidence of collision repairs. And, he may also be able to detect developing mechanical problems.

Whether you buy this particular vehicle or not, you would be very foolish to buy a used car without being able to evaluate its maintenance records in comparison with the Honda Maintenance Schedule, and without having it vetted by your own mechanic. My personal policy is: No maintenance records=no sale/refusal to allow for a pre-purchase inspection=no sale.

One simple rule: mever buy a used car with a known problem unless you’re prepared to live with the problem permanently…and everything else checks out A-OK.

And that applies double to a body problem becasue of the possibility of a past accident.

You guys have fantastic advice! Thank you!

I am going to see about taking the vehicle to a mechanic for an inspection, but I’m not in a big hurry to get a new-to-me vehicle so if this one doesn’t work out that’s ok.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your advice!!!