Will this motor work in my car?

Hello my name is Josh. I have a 1999 Chevy Lumina i have had this car since 2000 and this is my first major problem. I let my friend borrow my car and he drove it threw a foot and a half of water and wrecked the motor that was in it. I love the car and i wanna fix it. I found a motor for $200 it has 35,000 miles on it the only thing i have a question on is its from a 2000 Buick century. They are both 3.1 liter V6 motors i just don’t know if the new motor will hook up in my car? please help

Salvage yards have books called “Hollander Manuals” that list parts interchanges. They should be able to tell you. Mechanically, it should bolt right in…Find out if the Lumina and Century are built on the same “platform”. The problems usually arise when trying to get the electronics to match up. You will want the ECM from the Century for sure…Then comes the emissions test…Is that CEL working correctly? If no emissions test is required, a skilled mechanic should be able to get it hooked up and running…

cool thanx for the help i really appreciate it

yeh the cel works

The trick is to make it work properly AFTER you swap engines. One sensor is different and bling, the light stays on…It can turn into a nightmare if an emissions test is required…

I don’t see the 2000 being a direct replacement for the 1999. An engine from a Chevy Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix, or the Buick you mentioned will work, but only '98s and '99s are candidates. If you can buy one that really has 35K miles for $200, that’s a steal, but there must be some differences between the '99 and '00. Sometimes it’s a difference like an intake manifold that can be changed, other times it’s a sensor issue. Incorrect sensors will cause your CEL to be on permanently, as stated earlier. I think you’d better take a pass on that one.

One big thing you would want to be sure of is transmission matchup. Visit a transmission shop, or three, and ask if the Lumina transmission will mate with the Buick engine.
Visit a shop which specializes in engine replacement. Ask about any possibilities of mismatch in mounting, etc.