Will sanding a car to remove dents harm it?

A comedian had a great line - ‘Friend told me not to worry, 95% of the time it doesn’t happen. Now I’m terrified! 5% of my worries are about to happen!’

1 Like

I live on a hill. 95% of the time it never floods.

It depends on the source. There is a lot of good medical information available on the web if you know how to look for it. The last time I needed a medical procedure I googled it and read information from the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic,the John’s Hopkins Medical institute, and the National Institutes of Health. I wasn’t looking for a self diagnosis, only information on the treatment the doctors suggested.

1 Like

Google is a search engine. It’s a vehicle that takes you places just like your car. Saying the above is like saying your car is the worst place to go for good groceries… you still have to be smart enough to recognize rotten food when you see it :grinning:

5 Likes

Google has a lot of great information. It scarfs the web and is adding terabytes of information daily. Of course there’s garbage on it. But to say it’s ALL garbage because you found ONE URL that wasn’t correct is just absurd.

1 Like

BTW, leukemia may present as lethargy.
Agreed with the above, information from Mayo, Cleveland, Johns Hopkins is generally reliable. But, even peer reviewed submissions to medical journals can get it wrong.

1 Like

It may, but… not necessarily. I felt quite energetic at the time of my Leukemia diagnosis, and 2+ years later, I still have a decent amount of energy.

Part of the problem with self-diagnosis is that some suggestible people will read a list of symptoms, and immediately assume that they have X disease.

Even decades before the internet, this could happen. Back in the '60s, a hypochondriac friend of my brother complained about yet another illness (real or imagined), and out of frustration, my brother told him that he might have Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

After looking-up the symptoms of RMSF, that guy suddenly felt new symptoms, and was convinced that he had that disease.

3 Likes

Yep, therein lies the hazard.

There are certain topics on the Web that are huge targets for article spam generation. These are articles that are meant to engage the reader for enough time see the advertisements on the page. The content mills target certain highly searched for topics, such as how to unlock an iPhone, how to fix a stuck toilet valve, etc. Anything to do with vehicle repairs is a huge topic. The people who produce these articles may not know anything at all about the topic. Now they may be switching to computer learned language model (AI) assisted content generation.

Many of the articles on the web recommending a product to buy are now a part of the Amazon sponsored blog or review program. Fortunately there is a law which requires disclosure.

Which now has preferred roads, and it will downgrade its performance if you go off the preferred roads.

Regarding the content mill spam on the web, nearly all of them use the .com TLD and they are all on SSL/TLS (HTTPS), since Google started deranking sites that are not encrypted a while back. All of the SEO spammers know this. If you outside of .com and encrypted sites, you eliminate nearly all spam.

1 Like

Yeah I told the emergency room doc that my symptoms didn’t fit a burst appendix according to the book. This was before internet. He just said they don’t always go according to the book and got the surgeon out of bed.

Alright everyone. Please tell me what to do.

I contacted a paintless guy and he came to my residence to inspect the car. I was shocked when he pointed out several dents caused by the tree ( about 15 of them ). He said he can pull them out without the need of body filler. His price $600.

An area of the car needs repainting ( no filler) and that will cost $505.

My insurance deductible is $500.

Should I just spend out of pocket for the repair and cancel my insurance claim ? Or should I still go through my insurance ?

Flip a coin or just make a decision and live with it.

Just pay for it. I was about to mix up some body filler and thought maybe if you would just buy a small can you would see how hardy it actually is.

The only thing is some of the paintless guys are better than others. My body shop had done the screening, but hey give it a whirl.

How about you file a claim and use the paintless dent removal company recommended by your insurance . . . ?!

3 Likes