Will sanding a car to remove dents harm it?

Hello everyone!

So the body shop recommended sanding the areas where the dents happened by a falling tree branches. If I’m not mistaken, sanding will remove the car’s factory materials. Won’t this devalue the car? If no, will the car still suffers when it comes to selling it in the future as it’ll show on CARFAX that a tree branch caused minor damages ?

And lastly, how long should I expect the new paint to last when the car is finished ?

For crying out loud. Just let them do their job and when they are done you will sign off on it and should have a warranty period .

4 Likes

My thinking, while your car after the Body Shop’s mending, it won’t be quite the same, probably worth a little less, compared to before the tree incident, but it will be considerably better and worth far more than not doing the mending at all.

In other words, you car was only new once. Now it isn’t. But it is still pretty good.

1 Like

Please explain how sanding removes dents. Never heard of that before.

4 Likes

I guess they’re going to fill it then sand it ?

I really don’t like the idea.

Maybe there are dents and scratches in the same area.

1 Like

Lots of new cars have some refinishing done before the customer ever gets it.

Yeah some people worry about that. A guy a work smashed his Lincoln into something. Hood, grill, etc. sold it to another guy at work. I used quality paint on the front end, except for the dent on the roof where his wife attacked him with a hammer. Easier to blend it with a spray can than a sprayer. Sold it right away so who knows how long it lasted.

As they say there are a million stories in the big city. This is only one. Divorced, sold his house and boat and moved to North Carolina. I think the show was called the naked city for you old timers. A 9mm would have done less damage.

They sand it, then fill it, then sand it smooth.

The filler won’t stick to the car if they don’t sand it first.

2 Likes

And how long does body filler last ?

I’m thinking of canceling my insurance claim because I really don’t want body filler on it.

That is a dumb idea . Collision shops repair vehicles all the time and you certainly will not ever get full value with dents and scratchers. We have had 3 vehicles repaired and after 10 years you still could not see where the repair was done .

1 Like

Did any of your repaired vehicles receive filler ? I would like to know how long filler lasts on a car when it is repainted.

Also, thanks for the reassurance. I like when you contribute this way. Being helpful and courageous is what I need right now.

Have you taken to a paintless dent removal shop for an evaluation, as previously advised? That’s the only option to normal dent repair, which includes hammering, sanding, filling and painting.

2 Likes

I don’t care if you like my posts or not . If you would do a little web search like Google and post something like ( How long does body filler last ) it would help you understand you worry too much.

I took it a body shop. I never knew there was such a thing as paint less body shop. I’ll have to check around.

The sore thumb dent is located on the edge of the back of the roof, next to the rear door. It is where the hard frame is.

Google doesn’t tell you the truth. I stopped using google when I would run to my doctors after I read about symptoms and waste my doctor’s time.

For example: why am I feeling lethargic?

Google: possible cause includes leukemia, blah blah blah.

If it’s a quality shop, the filler will outlast the car.

If the shop is one that your insurance recommended, the repair will probably have a warranty for as long as you own the car.

Get the car fixed and trade it in before the accident/insurance claim shows up on carfax

The body filler on my Plymouth was applied in 1992.

A body shop should know how to remove dents without filling and repainting, paintless body repair is not a new process.

That location and type of damage is likely the reason the metal can’t be straightened without filling and painting.

3 Likes

Another vote for paintless dent repair opinion. Fad it dine on my truck when the wind blew over my extension ladder and creased the hood, I did a little touch up paint after and it was 1/10 the cost of a body shop and looked fine!

1 Like

I am done . That just convinces me you are beyond help.

It only lasts about 20 years then the paint fades like every other paint applied to cars.

Filler is a perfectly effective, long lasting repair. If done correctly, you won’t know where it is after the job is done.

If you don’t fix it micro cracks will breed rust, rust will make holes and the car will leak.

If you can use paintless dent removal, that is cheap and effective.

If you can’t use paintless, the dent must be sanded, filled, primed and painted. If no filler is used, IF you can find a capable craftsman to accept the job, it will cost you 10 times the fill and paint because of the labor and it will still need to be painted.

2 Likes