Large Dent Repair DIY?

In a fit of distracted genius, I struck a pole leaving the parking garage of my work. My only solace is I am definitely not the first person to do this. The paintless dent repair companies said I should take the truck to a body shop. Does anyone know if this is something I can do myself if the body shop is too expensive? I’m not worried about the paint so long as I can prevent rust but it is only minor scratches with some paint transfer. I don’t expect showroom condition, but enough repair it isnt immediately noticeable. Anyone had a body shop repair this sort of dent before?

I’m betting the paintless guys didn’t like that body line running right into the dish dent area. Plus, the dish dent is slightly creased along the outer circumference. Those can be tough to repair to their standards. Have you opened the hood to look at the area from the inside? What’s in the way? Personally, I’d peen that back out myself and call it a day

1 Like

doesnt seem to be anything in the way. I can easily get my hands underneath and I tried to pop it back out but the little voice in my head said that might not be the best idea until I know more. I appreciate your input!

My thought is either have it fixed properly by a body shop or leave it alone. If you have full coverage get an estimate a go from there.

It looks like a.plastic bumper. Why not try to bump it out? What could you lose?

that may be my best approach. Thanks

I wish it were plastic! Unfortunately it is not. Thanks though

Agree, that’s a tough one because of the crease and the metal is stretched. If you aren’t experienced with a hammer and dolly, just have a shop do it. Even with experience there will be some filling and repainting. I had a smaller and less deep fender dent with no scratches and not on a crown like that one. The paintless guy wasn’t sure about that one but did a great job for $150. I think someone knocked a soccer ball or something against it so it was a clean dent but yours is not.

1 Like

I managed a body shop for a couple of years, quite a few years, ago.

What I would do is go to 2 or 3 body shops for a free estimate. It’ll take them just a couple of minutes to do it.

Compare repair strategies and costs. Then you can make a more informed decision.

I don’t know your body repair prowess and experience, but regardless, I say either leave the dent as is or have it repaired professionally.

I will offer my opinion. Don’t try this one at home! It’ll look better dented than DIY’d.
CSA

1 Like

That’s solid advice. Will do. I appreciate your help!

DYI fender repair?

Another idea that probably won’t work is to find a used fender in the same factory color and install it yourself.

A few problems enter into this, finding such a fender, finding one that isn’t damaged or scraped up, and having it be close enough color match so that it isn’t noticeable.

I had a badly damaged (beyond repair) rear door on a car. I successfully found a used one of the same color and the paint match was extremely close.
CSA

1 Like

To get some ideas check:
www.car-part.com

"chevrolet Colorado"
Model-Year?

I didn’t know the model-year.
CSA

1 Like

that’s great info. Thank you! Definitely helps to know as much about pricing as possible. I have a few buddies who can help if it needs to be replaced.

+1
Many years ago, my next-door neighbor decided to hire some itinerant body repair guys who were going door to door, in order to do some body repairs on her aging Volvo. (Why not? Surely some unknown characters going from door to door would be skilled and reputable body-repair craftsmen! :smirk:)

She liked their price, and she hired them to sit on the curb and do the necessary work–including painting the repair with a rattle can that clearly didn’t equate with the exact color of her silver Volvo. After they finished their work, from 30 feet away, that curbside body work looked…okay…not great, but…okay. Within a few months, the so-called repairs looked far worse than the original body damage had looked.

1 Like

If you are not worried about perfection, but looking fine from a galloping horse I would talk to a few paintless dent repair places and let them know you are not expecting perfection, but do the best you can, what was the dent repair vs body shop price?

The paintless dent repair place told the OP they could not handle the dent and recommended a body shop.

I had enough good experiences, good enough for me is why I suggested it, had 1 where an aluminum ladder blew over in the wind, large dent and crease and loss of paint, and scraped the headlight lens. I did not want to spend a lot because I was selling the vehicle, for $100 in not perfect repair was fine with me, and to the buyer.

It’s probably a 1000 dollar dent, give or take a bit. As for whether or not you can do this yourself I have no idea.

Making a repair not noticeable can involve a bit of time.

I’m not particularly fond of MAACO (an understatement…) but you might check with them and see how much they would charge to fix it.

My friend had good ding in front fender on his front fender Infiniti. Paid 800 for repair. 6 months later he parked in end spot at store and kid drove up and parked next to him and opened door and wind whamed it into his fender. Kid tried to shrug it off but buddy got new fender again from kids nsurance co.

THE paintless dent repair place…

Surely there is more than one. If there is no doubler on the inside of the fender, a good person should be able to make it look OK if not very good.