Will it last, or will it bust?

Check the coolant level (cold) oil level, and tire pressure before you go and check the oil level at every gas stop on your trip. Some cars burn a lot more oil at high speeds.

New cars are no guarantee you wonā€™t be stranded. My worst was travelling to Bowling Green KY at 9:30 at night, wearing dark clothes, before cell phones, driving a brand new 1988 Buick Riviera company car. The car just died about a half mile from the nearest exit. When I walked back to that exit, there was nothing but a handful of houses another half mile away. Standing at the top of the ramp thinking I needed to walk to a house and ask if theyā€™d call a wrecker, a tow truck rolled up the ramp. It was picking up a new Eldorado that had blown out both front tires on the curb (drunk wife, I heard). After dropping off the Eldo, we picked up my car and dropped it at a dealer that stayed open a little late because the tow truck driver called him and said he was in-bound (gotta love towns!). I picked up the keys to a rental and drove to Bowling Green for a meeting at the Corvette plant. Drove back that same afternoon to the dealer to get my Riv with a brand new coil pack. Drove home without incident. Fleet loaned it out a couple days later and the car died heading out of the parking lot. Another coil pack, or so I heard.

Amy:
Iā€™m in the camp of folks who recommend getting the car looked over by your mechanic, and then enjoy your drive to your school in Alabama. I would not stress about the car breaking down.

1 Like

In your Dadā€™s defense, when he was your age, 146,000 miles used to be a lot, but build quality and manufacturing techniques have come a long way since then. On your car, 200,000 miles is the old 100,000 miles, so Iā€™d be willing to bet your car can make the trip, and several more, safely.

That being said, if your father wants to give you an upgrade, why turn it down? You donā€™t want to seem ungrateful, do you?

Itā€™s a good idea to keep a close eye on the oil level, perhaps checking it once a week, but Iā€™d give that advice no matter how new the car is.

Have your dad give you a cell phone and a AA membership. That way, if you have a breakdown on a trip, you can get you and the car somewhere where it (and you) will be safe.

Besides, traveling long distances isnā€™t where cars usually breakdown. Itā€™s in the city.

1 Like

Why would she want an AA membership? Are you saying ā€œMy name is CapriRacer, and Iā€™m an alcoholicā€?

Perhaps you can recommend a AAA membership? :wink:

1 Like

Oops. My awesome typing skills strike again!

For AAA it needs to be the premium membership to cover her on the highway.

2 Likes

Not enough information for any specific advice, but I can offer some general comments::

(1) Right now, stop what youā€™re doing, and order a Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter from eBay (there are plenty for around $5). You plug it into your car, usually under the dash, and just leave it there. Get the blue transparent kind, they tend to work best. Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/152163371166

When it arrives, download the free app on your phone (like OBD doctor). Your app will tell you if thereā€™s a problem with your car. It will monitor your mileage, your exhaust, your engine temperature, all the vitals. If there is a problem, post it here so we can provide more specific advice. Donā€™t take it to another shop to poke around blindly. By far, the OBD device is the EASIEST way to get information about how your car is doing.

(2) I hear a little anxiety about the age & mileage, and you say nobody has found any specific problems with the vehicle.

In the 21st century, 140k is not high mileage. Youā€™ve probably passed your half-life on a domestic sedan. If you were talking about a foreign sedan (VW, Audi, BMW, etc), Iā€™d say itā€™s just now broken in. Iā€™ve driven Saabs & Land Rovers at 500,000 miles, on the original engine, with no problems at all.

(3) Also, in the 21st century, 10 years old is not an old vehicle. Your dad might be of the generation that remembers cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc, that were absolutely done when they hit 100,000 miles. Not the case any more. Even Hyundai, Kia, etc will easily surpass 100k.

(4) We typically buy vehicles that are 5-8 years old, when they hit 100k people get nervous, and we get a great deal! Even the crappiest car Iā€™ve ever owned (Pontiac) made it to 250k.

(5) For your next vehicle, as a general rule: the US makes great trucks but horrible cars & minivans. Europe & Japan make great sedans and minivans but horrible trucks.

(6) I agree that losing 1/3 quart between oil changes is not bad. My guess is leaks, not ā€œburning oilā€ (statistically thatā€™s the case, and since you didnā€™t mention burning smell, smoke, etc). Leaks are normal, seals get worn over time. Also, some drips can be attributed to the oil pan plug (the grease monkeys at the jiffy type places will almost always overtighten & strip the plug when they change oil).

(7) Statistically, itā€™s either the computer, or the little things, that go wrong (not the engine). Power windows. Plastic knobs breaking off. That kind of thing.

Good luck!

The suggestion was to buy disposable gloves, not oil, at DT.

If you really need a car at school, for whatever reason, by all means, have the car checked out before heading south. For the Christmas break, fly home and back to school. Winter weather, especially if your home is in the snow zone, can mean difficult driving. If your school isnā€™t close to the airport, hotels near the 'ports often offer parking on their site if you stay over before a flight out, which amounts to free storage (or close, after you factor the room cost). The hotel will also have a shuttle to (and back from) the airport, so you save the parking fee.
Your father will be glad to pick you up at the airport if he knows you havenā€™t exposed yourself to the often-dangerous traffic and hazardous roads.

Sorry, she will have to join AA on her own. Dad will be welcome to attend a meeting with her, of courseā€¦