Chevy Cobalt

Anyone have any experience with the 2.2 in the Cobalt, or the Cobalt in general? Looking for el cheapo commuter car to supplement my Silverado that positively cant break 13 MPG in the city.

Pretty rare for any second car to earn its keep, compared to paying for gas for the first car. Do the econ before evaluating possible second cars.

Lets see , purchase a second vehicle for city commute - might average 20 MPG - a decent vehicle in my are will be 3000.00 and probably need tires soon - liability insurance and registration - now we are close to 4000.00 and if the transmission goes a lot of fuel could be bought for that amount of money.

Daughter drives a 2010 Cobalt with 76k miles. First big repair was last week, fuel line and filter replacement for ~$650. This is a known issue for Cobalts. I’ve replaced the front speakers and the turn signal switch myself. Other than brakes, tires, and recently a new battery that’s it for repairs in 9 years. Make sure the Ignition switch and EPS motor (power steering) recalls were done.

It’s been a good car so far and I am hoping to get a few more years out of it. No noticeable oil consumption between oil changes (5-6k intervals).

Ed B.

1 Like

Oh no question about it. I’m guessing a subcompact could get about 25 (at least thats what cobalt was stickered for. Im looking for manual tranny only. So, for my 30 mile commute im looking at roughly one gal of gas saved per day. So, with weekends Im looking at about 870 bucks a year. So at least 4 years to payoff (without insurance/tag/maintenance). But thats at 2.75 gas. My thinking is that it cant stay like this for the next 5 years right? And if gas goes up those small cars go up. How can fuel stay this cheap? Its been such a long run.

Also, and this is on a highly theoretical level, wouldnt maintenance costs remain constant because any miles you put on car b you aren’t putting on car a?

Your commute is 30 miles round trip or one way? Is it all city driving.

Sounds like a break even proposition at best and a money loser when repairs come up.

Do you really need a pickup?

We have a 2009 LT and 2010 LS. They both run well and get the advertised EPA mileage.

1 Like

Really comes in handy for home repairs and deer hunting.

Strap the deer to the roof you your Cobalt! :blush:

1 Like

No, tires, belts, and hoses age at the same rate,driven much or not,many maintenance tasks are by age or mileage, whichever comes first. Rust sometimes happens at a faster rate on a lightly driven car. You have double registration, more insurance, and in most states, inspection fees.

No, maintenance costs for the Cobalt will be lower. Price out a set of tires for each and see what that will cost you. There’s also less to go wrong with the Cobalt.

If you are looking for a daily driver, a Chevy that old likely won’t be a great purchase. I’m just prejudice against most American made cars sans some notable exceptions.

You didn’t mention if your commute is stop/go or highway. I drive 20 minutes between 60-65 one way daily to work. If it is stop/go, I’d honestly recommend a hybrid. If you can get one where they were leased, you might score one that is very depreciated and has low mileage.

Also, avoid CVTs at all costs.

My wife’s drives a 2009 Cobalt LT daily and my daughter drives a 2010 Cobalt LS daily. Both have been reliable transportation.

1 Like

That’s good. They are hit or miss it seems. Maybe the Cobalt the OP is looking at might be the hits not the misses.

One thing I try for is a manual tranny, seems to take a lot of problem potential out of things.

good point

That was a real concern. Seems like daily driven and well cared for cars run forever…when they start sittin’ they just fall apart.