Wife's Volvo makes "knuhck" noise upon braking. What is?

So my wife today says “drive my car, it makes a knuhking noise when I apply the brakes”. I said “no I’m busy” (Yes it was a foolish thing to say). IT is a 240 '91 VOLVO WGN w/ 260k+ miles. Anyone that can get me out of the hotseat with some good advice? btw anyone know of a good volvo mechanic in Metro West Boston?

thanks doubly.

mm

So my wife today says "drive my car, it makes a knuhking noise

This may be the best phoenetic spelling of a noise I’ve ever seen :wink:

when I apply the brakes". I said “no I’m busy” (Yes it was a foolish thing to say). IT is a 240 '91 VOLVO WGN w/ 260k+ miles. Anyone that can get me out of the hotseat with some good advice? btw anyone know of a good volvo mechanic in Metro West Boston?
thanks doubly.

knuhking noise eh? I suspect Canadians :wink:

when on braking does it do it? Over and over or just once? If it’s just once you could have loose caliper bolts or even a missing caliper bolt. I’ve seen that before and the results aren’t pretty - - generally gouges the devil out of the wheel.

If it’s over and over it could be a problem with the ABS, warped rotors, a loose/broken pad, or even just something caught in the brake.

Have you checked the front and rear knuhck bearings lately. When they wear they can cause severe knuhcking.
~Michael

front struts…might have a broken spring

Gouges the caliper too.

This is a potentially dangerous situation. Get the car up, wheel off, and check the brakes to see if everything is nice and tight.

-Matt