Why it is recommended to have used car when you have low budget?

If you are one of those looking for low budget car in good condition then you need to opt for used Toyota Corolla.

Are you asking a question, or is this intended to be a response to another question?

I guess you are assuming that all used Toyota Corolla’s have been owned by people who keep all required service up to date , check oil and fluids on a regular schedule and never abuse the vehicles. Yeah , like that is going to be factual across the board.

A better statement would have been to have a good shop exam any used vehicle you might be interested in no matter the brand.

8 Likes

I prefer Mustangs.

2 Likes

I agree that Toyota makes a good product. I own two Toyota vehicles. However, Toyota isn’t the only car company.
On a used car, it is the condition that is important along with the availability of parts and service.

4 Likes

You are speaking in generalities that don’t work. You assume because the badges say Toyota Corolla that the car will be perfect and bulletproof forever. Not so. They get abused and neglected too along with various factory flaws,

About 10 years ago I went into the local Chevy dealer (also Buick and Toyota) to get a special part and on the way out noticed 3 almost new Camrys on the racks with their transmissions out. I asked the service writer about that and his response was “They break just like everything else.”.

Re: Why it is recommended to have used car when you have low budget?

It’s b/c used cars are generally priced lower than new cars. As far as which make, model & year of used car is best for your particular situation, suggest to both ask here and consult Consumer Reports Used Car Guide.

The overall cost of ownership of used car is much less than buying a new car. That means lower CASH OUTFLOW per year which benefits if you are a low income earner.

Even high income folks I know buy used cars and save a great deal.

5 Likes

Docnick is right “The overall cost of ownership of used car is generally much less than buying a new car” but like everything else in finance, the devil is in the details and the most common mistake I see is people buying what “they can possibly afford” instead of “buying what they actually need”.

i.e. Even though the initial cost and monthly payments may be the same, your total cost of ownership in a new base Hyundai Excel will probably be a lot lower than a used Benz or other Luxury vehicle loaded with all the “bling”.

And if you “need” a luxury vehicle to impress your friends, you probably need some different friends.

3 Likes

how much does it cost to live?
shelter, food, is required. anything else is probably unnecessary.
use public transport? or walk to work?
do you need a car? can you save cash to buy one? park it? fix it?
life requires some effort. been told

What if someone needs a luxury vehicle in order to impress their clients? If I sell high-end real estate, buyers aren’t likely to appreciate having to ride from property to property in my 10-year-old Hyundai Excel.

Someone I know, who is a behavioral analyst who works with mostly autistic children, feels she needs to present an image when she visits clients’ homes, even though she mostly works with Medicaid recipients.

At the College of Business at the university where I work, there is what looks like a 30-year old Plymouth station wagon. He parks it in a space right across from a late model SUV that has an advertisement in the rear window for an accident attorney. I don’t know if that attorney works as an adjunct instructor or if it belongs to a faculty member who sold advertising space on his car, but I’d personally rather drive the Plymouth eyesore.

My most funny experience with a used car was having to chauffeur several Russian dignitaries in my 1966 Chevelle Malibu in a (yes) dark red finish.The car was 10 years old at the time and in mint condition; the small V8 was almost silent.

The Russians complimented on my nice car; they were really impressed.

To add insult to injury, I drove onto the plant gate via the employees’ parking lot where there were lots of late mode cars parked; our employees loved their cars.

One of the guests asked if this was a car factory inventory parking lot, upon which I replied: "No Tovarich (comrade). this is our WORKERS’ parking lot. It left them scratching their heads!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community!

What?? I buy used cars and I consider myself quite good at it. I totally disagree with your statement!

I don’t care for Asian branded cars and would never own one. So any Toyota is not on my radar.

Besides, as others have pointed out, when considering a used vehicle, condition carries more weight than make/model.

I first choose what I’d like to drive and then shop for that particular make/model. One of the cars I own, a daily driver, I bought locally over 4 years ago off Craig’s list for $4,000. It is a Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L, which I researched and carefully checked out prior to purchase.

I replaced 2 tires and battery within days of the purchase as planned. Since then I put on ceramic brake pads and rotors (the original brakes were still extremely good, but it’s almost as easy to replace them as it is to check them) on all 4 corners for $200 (DIY). Besides regular oil changes with Mobil-1, draining and refilling the cooling system with Dex-Cool, and changing the Dexron VI ATF, that’s it.

I’ve driven thousands of miles, including several 3,000 round trips. The vehicle consumes no fluids. A well taken care of GM 3.8L engine is a venerable contender against practically any vehicle brand powerplant. It is comfortable and the fold down seats and large trunk allows me to carry a bicycle, a kayak, or sets of golf clubs.

Please explain why I should be driving around in a Corolla. I won’t ever buy one, but I’m just curious.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

I recommend no car for people with low budgets. ‘Consumer Reports’ has ratings for used cars, collected from subscribers. Read your library’s copy.

1 Like

What’s a low budget (senior, fixed income, blah, blah, blah)? I’m on a low budget and own a half-dozen cars, all licensed and insured. I think for that advice to kick in, one must set parameters for this “low budget.”

I know wealthy people on low budgets, some quite personally.

CSA

really

If you can afford Florida insurance rates on six cars, you’re not on a “low budget.”

2 Likes

The only problem with that is that some people won’t give you a job unless you have a car to get to and from work.

The working poor don’t have such easy choices.

3 Likes

If the address you use to get the job is very close, you can easily show you have a reliable way to get to and from work. I think that is what Troll is thinking. Walk or bike.

Some jobs may require the use of your personal car. That would change things.

I will say my wife and I owned 3 old cars when we were first married so at least 2 were running at any given time. That way we could each could get to school and work while I was repairing the 3rd. All 3 together cost far less than even one cheap new car.

Ha, ha
 Sounds just like what we did, but the foul weather, with blizzard conditions and temperatures well below zero and carbureted cars (not as reliable at cold starts) necessitated having a spare or two.
We always lived about 36 miles from work in the rural woods and there were no alternate forms of transportation. Later on, with 2 kids, I needed 4 running vehicles!
CSA

The entire GM lineup of FWD vehicles that had the 3.8L engine were world class vehicles. It’s such a shame that GM, nor any Detroit manufacturer has ever made a significant effort at producing an entry level model as dependable and reliable. But those at the bottom don’t have the funds to be so selective in their purchase. And it’s a shame that so many at the bottom allow their vanity to over ride common sense in choosing what should be an appliance for essential transportation.