Why it is recommended to have used car when you have low budget?

I thought @Triedaq lived in Indiana!

3 Likes

I thought he lived in Mexico, Thinking gets me into trouble every time!

@jtsanders. I’m not proud!
Years ago, when I was applying for a loan to build a house, I was asked where I had financed my car. I replied that I paid cash for my car and had never financed a car. The loan officer then asked what kind a car I drove, I replied “1965 Rambler” which was seven years old at the time. He replied ,“Why do you drive an old car like that?” His comment really made me angry. I said, ,“So I wouldn’t have to borrow money from people like you”. We had purchased five acres of prime real estate and had submitted the deed as as a down payment. There was no way the bank would lose. Both Mrs. Triedaq and I had professional positions. I told the loan officer I would go to another institution for a loan. He told me that without having established credit, I would never get a loan. Some years back, Mrs. Triedaq and I had bought some furniture from a locally owned store. The proprietor suggested we buy the furniture on the “90 days same as cash” so we could establish credit The store held the note. That didn’t satisfy the loan officer. I had a Standard Oil credit card I paid off every month. That wasn’t good enough. I finally said, “I’ll stay in my apartment. When I save enough money, I’ll have the foundation poured. After I have saved more money, I’ll have the house framed and enclosed. I can do wiring, plumbing and drywall work. I will finish the house room by room as I save the money”. Suddenly, the bank gave us a loan to build the house.
Years ago, Consumer Reports had an article in one of its issues titled “Bait the Hook With Merchandise”. I often think selling a car is of secondary importance. It’s really the financing merchants want to sell.
As for me, if I have to drive an old heap to keep banks from getting my money, that’s what I’ll do. I’m not out to impress anyone.
After that, the bank wanted us to finance the appliances on the mortgage. I refused. If I financed the appliances on a 15 year mortgage and the refrigerator croaked after 10 years, I would be paying for a dead horse, or refrigerator, for five years.

5 Likes

@Barkydog. I live anyplace where the law can’t find me. It’s the alumni office of the universities I attended that can always track me down.

3 Likes

The university where I graduated lost my contact information when I demanded a refund for the “free” membership in the alumni association that I never received.

A one year membership is supposed to be included for free when you buy your cap and gown, but I discovered on my receipt that it’s actually an itemized charge. After begging for my membership card for six months so I could get the discount at the dining hall, I demanded a refund. Three months later, I finally got it.

Why do I think you live in Mexico, did not get the fingerprint ID card for the kid in case she wanted to live a life of crime. :slight_smile: But NRA will not honor my lifetime membership I bought in 1966 at summer camp :frowning:

3 of our cars have one, a Grand Prix, a Bonneville, and an Impala. Simple low-tech engine, really. I chose these cars based on that engine. We have an Impala with a 3.5L, also. It’s been very good, too, but I am not fond of the meager oil capacity, 4 quarts! I like more volume. GM changed to a 3.6L with more oil volume just a bit later than our model.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

That’s exactly the prudent frugality I expected in your response.

And a chauffeur.

@jtsanders. My institution had a faculty dining room. I was sitting at a table with a colleague from physics and we were discussing nuclear reactors. A group of middle level administrators sat down at our table. These administrators began discussing the kind of car a person in an administrative position should drive. They thought a Cadillac was too showy. The president of the university drove an Oldsmobile, so the administrators at the table agreed that the Oldsmobile was the right car to drive. They were critical of one VP who drove a Mercury, but that VP had seen the light and replaced it with an Oldsmobile. One younger administrator said that he wasn’t ready for an Oldsmobile. He had purchased a Pontiac which showed that he was a bright younger person on his way up. My colleague from the physics department looked at me and said, “Triedaq, do you still drive that beat-up Rambler?” “Oh, yes”, I replied. “It gives me the scholarly image”.
Mrs. Triedaq had an administrative position before she retired. She drove a Toyota 4Runner. One reason we bought the 4Runner was her parents were in an assisted care facility 50 miles away. She also used it when the university was closed because of snow. The faculty and professional administrators didn’t have to come to campus, but the staff either had to be there or lose a vacation day or a day’s pay. Mrs. Triedaq didn’t think that was fair. She would go pick up her staff and bring them to work so they wouldn’t be docked a day’s pay or vacation day.

Didn’t you drive an Olds?

@jtsanders. Yes, I thought I wanted to be a big shot. I drove my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass to work for 33 years, but it didn’t get me a high paying administrative job.

I find it really hard to believe that your colleague from the Physics Department called you “Triedaq.”

@Whitey. My colleague and friend from physics had a farm about 20 miles off campus. He drove a Corvair to work for years. (I have to keep my identity secret on this board).

Yes, that would change the job from “I might be willing to work here” to “take your job and shove it”. Under no circumstances would I ever agree to use a personal vehicle for any “work purposes” other than driving myself to the employer’s location at the designated time. If the job requires any driving, the employer needs to provide a work vehicle, together with the necessary commercial vehicle insurance.

I had a work truck, but people that had to use their own vehicle were compensated at 65 cents per mile.

I had a 1987 Olds Cutlass Ciera with the 3.8L engine. I couldn’t afford the luxury model with the 3.8 or the Buick Century so I factory ordered a base model Ciera with the upgrade from the 3.3L those normally came with to the 3.8L. Loved the low end torque and quick acceleration when needed and how smoothly it ran. It did have a few repair issues but I got 20 years with 187k miles from that car before passing it along to a nephew.

1 Like