Why is my pt cruiser stalling

I have a 2001 pt cruiser with 230k miles on it. I’m having an issue where my car stalls randomly when accelerating sometimes at a stop or when the automatic transmission changes gears. When thus happens I notice that my gas gauge drops. It will do thus for a while then stop. When it stops stalling the gas gauge goes back to where it was before the “episode” started. I have a leak in my evap system according to code but my mechanic wants to replace a lot of stuff and make a lot of money off me. Anyone have a clue what’s going on and why I keep stalling. I also smell gas when I start my car

Check the ignition coils and PCM.There is a high rate of PCM failure on those.

The stalling issue may just be a dirty corroded battery terminal.
Remove both terminals and use a terminal cleaner like this one…
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/battery-terminal-brush-cleaner?filterByKeyWord=battery+post+cleaner&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false

Then re-install and tighten the battery cables.

This could be the reason that your mechanic wants to replace parts.

I would guess that when you fill your tank, that you continue to pump every penny that you can into the tank…after the pump shuts off by itself. This is a practice that floods the evaporative system and after doing this a few times, the charcoal canister is flooded with raw gasd. The charcoal canister is suppose to take in the fumes from the tank as you fill up. It then stores those fumes and after the engine is restarted, those fumes are directed into the intake…keeping the emissions at a minimum.

I have had some luck with removing the charcoal canister from the vehicle for a few days and letting it sit in the sun for a few days before reinstalling it.

Yosemite

I don’t know how many times this must be stated?

You cannot over-fill the gas tank on an OBDII vehicle.

There’s a device in the ORVR system called an Overfill Check Valve.

Also called a ROOF valve. (Roll Over/Over Fueling) valve.

Tester