Why is my car dying?

Our 1993 Eagle Vision tsi, with 130,000 inglorious miles, just up and dies from time to time. We can be going down the interstate at 75 or around town, usually (if not always, I’m not sure) with the accelerator depressed. Since it almost always happens on the move, we slip it into neutral and the beast restarts right away, fortunately. Nevertheless, this is disconcerting at the least and risky for sure. We’re inclined to get it fixed but before taking the expensive leap of going to a mechanic, would like an expert’s opinion on what might be going on here and what we should be looking for. Any takers?

Anyone?

Check engine light ever come on? (Except for when it’s stalled…)

Yes, I believe it came on once but then went away after I started the car. That’s the only time it was noticed, anyway. It’s not on now, if that’s the question.

Any clues from the mechanically (or perhaps electronically? minded?

No expert here but somehow you’ve got to figure out if its fuel or spark. The fuel pump could be shutting down (pump, relay, wiring), pressure regulator could be bad. Bad computer ground, bad crank sensor, etc. etc.

That’s what I was afraid of. Probably too many things to narrow down without a real search or some way to narrow the possibilities. Appreciate the response … thank you!

On second thought, I think I’d have a look at that fuel pressure regulator. Check the vacume line for any evidence of deterioration or gas in the line. Might want to have a pressure test done but if its intermittant, only way would be to tape the pressure tester to the windshield and wait for it to do it again.

Yes, I believe it came on once but then went away after I started the car. That’s the only time it was noticed, anyway. It’s not on now, if that’s the question.

I likely has stored an error code. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

I’m afraid that untill it has a constant problem finding the problem will be difficult. I think the reason your CEL came on was due to the engine stalling so it won’t suprise me if it doesn’t have a code stored. Still wouldn’t hurt to have the codes pulled. If anybody can help you you diffently came to the right place!

Thanks to all for the sage advice. We’ll see how this goes …

I’ll go with Bing on the fuel pump relay. I had a very similar problem to this on a '90 Dodge, fuel pump relay fixed it for me.