Engine dieing

I have a 1999 Chevy suburban. The “service engine soon” light kept coming on and going off and finally stayed on. the car engine would die if you were going slowly, but it would restart. It also would jolt on the interstate but not die. my husband had the plugs, wires, rotor, and distributor cap replaced thinking it was electrical. That did nothing. so we had it diagnosed at a dealership. they said it was a gas pressure sensor which they replaced. but the car continued to do the same thing after a few days. they took the car back and then decided that it was a bad crank sensor which they replaced, but took back off because the car died when they went to move it. They kept it another two days and called us to tell us that they didn’t know what was wrong with it. Now they said they think it is the fuel pump. we had it replaced two years ago and it was not factory-made. they said it is making too much noise and it needs to be replaced again. Before I put any more money into this vehicle, I would like to know what you think. The fuel filter has been checked and cleaned, but not the gas tank. anyway, the car is running rougher and dieing more than ever. my husband will not let me drive it. he says it is too dangerous for me to drive.

When the “service engine soon” light came on did they by chance give you the code that had been set? If so please post the code number here and someone here might be able to help.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.

I think it could be the engine computer. The problem is similar to other computer related problems that GM has had in the recent and long ago past. Once you change everything else, the computer is the only thing left. I do not know for sure, but as long as everybody you go to is guessing… I know the 1985 I fixed can’t be used as a reference for all future repairs but once you change everything else…