Why don't we get cars like this? (European diesels)

I have been disappointed by GM & Ford for years for not having a diesel car. I want one but I will not buy Mercedes, VW, Audi, etc., and while I could justify buying a pickup I have no use for a 3/4 or 1 ton HD or SD.

Why not have a diesel (new body) Taurus or Malibu?

I also don’t like the idea of paying a premium for old technology, diesel has been around since about 1897.

Compared to a regular gas engine, a diesel has three things adding cost and complexity: 1)the heavier block (because of the high compresion ratio), 2) the turbo (to get the power needed), and 3) the pollution controls (because of the particulates and high NOx). So most of the engine hasn’t ‘been around since about 1897’.

I looked under the hood of a recent Ford diesel pickup - I couldn’t see the engine for all the pipes, turbocharger, intercooler, and various other coolers/radiators. Looked like someone took off a maintenance panel from the space shuttle!

“I also don’t like the idea of paying a premium for old technology, diesel has been around since about 1897.”

That’s just ridiculous. How do you feel about alternating current?

This has been tried in the US and was implemented poorly. Plus didn’t sell many even before people realized how much they sucked. So the automakers turned away from diesels to what people wanted and expected (and would buy)–the gas engines they were used to.

Diesels have come a long way since then. While I think the majority of Europe’s diesels are pretty anemic compared to what we’re used to here, it may be time for a comeback.

And really, if you spill a drop of gasoline on yourself, it’s just as stinky all day as if you spill diesel fuel.

One vehicle I am really surprised has not come in with a diesel is the Ford Transport. Small Euro designed van with a Focus engine currently in US.

I think an Ideal place for Diesels would be Pickups/SUV’s and mini-vans. Let’s face it those of us who own any of those vehicles are NOT looking for speed-demons…But we do need low-end torque for hauling (which a Diesel’s excel at). Supposedly Nissan is suppose to start selling their Turbo Diesel Pathfinder in Canada by 2011. I wouldn’t mind owning one…Same HP…Little slower in acceleration (but not by much)…good low torque for towing…and a 50% increase in gas mileage.

Did you mean to say “Ford Transit Connect?” I don’t think they make a vehicle called the “Transport.”

I agree. I would like to see a Transit Connect that can tow a small trailer.

The Ford Transit is a full-sized (by euro standards) van Ford makes and sells in Europe. They are about as ubiquitous as the econoline is in the states. It’s been in production for over 50 years.

I meant to say "I don’t think they make a vehicle called the ’ Transport.’ " I have corrected my error.

The [i]Ford Transit Connect[/i] is sold in the USA, and I don’t think anyone, even in Europe, would mistake it for a full-sized van. http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/

Based on my search, the [i]Ford Transport[/i] doesn’t seem to exist.

The [i]Ford Transit[/i] is another vehicle all together, and you are correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit

We are talking about at least two, possibly three, different vehicles here, which is why I asked Andrew for clarification.

They encourage us to buy gasoline by charging enough more for diesel that it is less attractive.

A gallon of Diesel contains more energy than a gallon of gas; heck, it WEIGHS more. Why SHOULDN’T it cost more?

A large reason for EU’s love of diesel is taxation structures that penalize the use of gas. As the US lacks such disincentives, the US doesn’t favor diesels.

I recall Mike telling us that diesel was always less than gas in NH. It may not be now, but it has been in the past 2 years or so. I can recall when diesel was less in MD, too, but it’s been over 5 years. I suppose it’s a supply and demand thing, but who can tell?

I remember diesel fuel being less expensive here, in Texas, too, up until several years ago. I think I read somewhere it had to do with the ultra-low-sulfur diesel required these days being more expensive to refine, and that now makes it cost more than gasoline.

I was thinking the same thing. Even low sulfur diesel costs more to make than the diesel fuel we used to have.

The extra equipment required to manufacture LSD will be paid off in another couple of years. The price may go down a few pennies. That’s really all it added, cost-wise.

I recall Mike telling us that diesel was always less than gas in NH.

I NEVER said that… In fact…here’s a link to the page from a year ago…

http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2118885.page

What I said…was…When gas prices settle down then Diesel is right around the same price as gas…Today it’s selling about 4 cents cheaper then premium (at least where I buy it). When gas prices rise…for some reason Diesel rises at a much faster rate…during those periods Diesel sells for a LOT more (I have no idea why)…And it’s NOT just NH…It’s all every where I travel in the North East (NH, VT, MA, ME, NY). Before the new low-sulfur Diesel it was selling BELOW regular.

I meant before LSD was available.

Wow, the cost of LSD is going down! That should knock the bottom out of the peyote market.

Maybe I should read all post more carefully.

Diesels are abundant everywhere, but why pay the extra cost for diesel fuel when you can buy a gas powered car that gets the same mileage or better?

And if you read the link I posted…I said…

"Just 3 years ago Diesel prices were LOWER then regular gas. Now with the new ultra-low sulfur diesel just recently introduced that may add to the cost of Diesel. But gas prices are still at a influx. So lets wait and see. "

I meant before LSD was available.

What do illicit drugs have to do with fuel prices?

Again, U.S. refineries can not produce any more diesel fuel (#2 distillate) than they are producing now. A massive switch to diesel-powered vehicles can not be supported…While small 4 cylinder diesel powered cars can meet current emissions laws, it’s a just barely situation. It’s all based on grams per mile. Once you move up in size and cylinders, meeting those grams per mile standards becomes ever more difficult.