Why Does My Cruise Control Have An Off Button?

I’m assuming if you accidently hit the off button you could accidently hit the resume button.

LOL, asemaster. The radio in my 2015 Jeep Cherokee CANNOT be turned off. There is a mute button or you can use the volume knob to turn the sound level to 0, but there is no way to actually power it off. My best guess is it’s because so many things go through the dash display if you turned the radio off you might disable other functions as well.

The radio in my '61 Beetle could only be turned off by its on/off/volume knob. It stayed on even when the engine was turned off.
But, it was the '60s! What did we know?

Actually you can use the “cancel” button for that but it still won’t be turned off.

Reviving old threads is done basically to irritate VOLVO V70! Not clicking and responding to an old discussion is akin to hitting “off” on cruise control. It’s there should one want that option, but one can choose otherwise.

But here’s the real answer after all this B.S. for 2 years…
It functions as a “reset” that works while driving. I have “freaked out” my cruise before (it stops responding) and the only thing that could get it to “snap out” of its fit was to turn it “off” and then “on.”
It’s like a slap in the face or a shot of cold water!

Face it, I’m not that great with operating modern electronic gizmos. I grow impatient and start pumping random inputs. I can freak-out nearly any modern device that runs on electricity.
CSA

Oh, and one more thing…
Car Owner’s Manuals have an admonition that pertains to not using cruise control in slippery road conditions (rain, snow, ice, washboard, loose gravel, etcetera.)

I knew that, but since I’m one of the most skilled drivers ever I use my cruise regardless of traction availability.

Well, let’s say “used my cruise regardless of traction availability” until one time…

Never mind! Don’t ask how I know! Let’s just say that the reasons not to use cruise on slippery roads when less traction is available increases proportionally to available horsepower. (hint: think hydroplaning)

My advice is to just switch the cruise control flat “off” when driving on slippery roads so the force of habit does not catch you using it. You’ll thank me later.
CSA

If you had rear wheel drive and posi traction, you sure enough would shut the cruise off on slippery roads or you’d find yourself in the ditch.