Why do Chevy lightbulbs always seem to burn out?

We always buy Chevys. They are relialable, but every model we have had, have issues with the light bulbs burning out. Why?

How often do they burn out (in operating hours)?
Since you only buy Chevys, what reference are you using to ascertain that they burn out faster than other makes?

1 Like

I’ve found that the original bulbs take a while to burn out, but replacements burn out a lot faster. I even use gloves to put the bulbs in.

We need some more details

Is it always the exact same bulb burning out?

If you replaced the left low beam bulb last year, and now the right low beam bulb, or a different bulb altogether, is burnt out, I don’t see a problem

When you replace the bulbs, are you looking at the connector?

All good?

Or toasty?

We have had a Tahoe and a Traverse. We take the vehicle to Tire Pros for service. We have had to replace many bulbs multiple times in both vehicles. It is all of the bulbs…back, front, signal, etc.

Maybe they use cheap bulbs that burn out early. Take your trucks to Chevrolet and have them change the bulbs. It seems more like a Tire Pros problem than a Chevy problem.

1 Like

Maybe Tire Pros used cheap bulbs that burn out! Maybe they even put in incorrect bulbs, especially if they’re out of the correct ones.
They’re a tire store. Would you go to an optometrist for dental work?

1 Like

I have a 14 year old Chevy Avalanche with 131K miles on it. I’ve had one headlight burn out. I replaced both bulbs at the same time. No other bulb has needed replacing.

Why because most GM’s use the headlights and or the parking lights for their DRL function so they are on no matter what time of day it is . Luckily with the advent of LEDS they have gotten away from this practice and LEDs generally will last the life of the car . On mine you can shut off the DRL’s just by turning the headlight switch so I turn them off every time I drive the car.

I have a 2009 Cobalt LT and haven’t had to replace the headlights yet.

The cars that I work on generally have between 18 and 24 exterior light bulbs, when a vehicle gets to around 100,000 miles I usually find a few bulbs that need to be replaced. Your shop is finding burned out bulbs because they are inspecting them.

Headlights are brighter and more complicated these days, so that might be part of the reason. Next time you visit an auto parts store, take a look at the headlights. You’ll probably notice there are three different types that fit your car. One is really bright, one is pretty bright, and one is just the normal brightness. On the package it will say which lasts the longest. The really bright type often has a really short life-span spec, the equivalent to 6-9 months of driving. The standard brightness type might have 10 times that lifespan.

If yours is an older car, it isn’t unusual to have to replace the small side marker bulbs and tail-light from time to time. I had to replace 6 of them on my Corolla last fall.