Why did milk truck drivers drive standing up?

There was also a guy selling work belts . . . the kind that don't have an exposed metal buckle.

I just learned to buckle my belt on the side. Still had to be careful walking right next to things though, but never had to get fenders repainted.

“Dairy bars”. I think you answered a question I never found an answer for. There is a small café in town that was established in 1938. It is named “The Court Street Dairy Lunch”. It has a “U” shaped bar with stools. The last time I was there about 12 years ago I asked why it was called Dairy Lunch? The proprietor did not know why but it had always been named that.

“Why did milk truck drivers drive standing up?”

Reminds Me Of The Old Puzzling Question, "Why Do Firemen Wear Red Suspenders?"
CSA

And in the near future, when the so-called ‘internet of things’ is fully implemented?

A microchip embedded in the depleted milk carton will instruct the internet-enabled refrigerator to order more milk. Your credit / debit card will be automatically charged (and the appropriate number of “whackybucks bogus rewards” points credited to your account). Three to five business days later, a carton of pasteurized, homogenized, organic, lactose and hormone free fair trade soymilk will be airdropped on your front steps (or in your shrubs or swimming pool more likely) by an unmanned drone, wrapped in four layers of biodegradable, compostable insulated bubble-wrap, providing the drone doesn’t get tangled up in power lines or get shot down by the NSA or some random hillbilly.

Technology. Making our lives simpler.

3 to 5 days ?
My kids could never stand for that.
’‘DAD…! we need milk !’’…( 10:15 pm or shaking me awake Sunday 7 am )

“Why did milk truck drivers drive standing up?”

Because there was no seat.

@“Ed Frugal”

Here in Los Angeles, the drone would get shot down by the local gangsters

aka . . . my neighbors :wink:

At least with the drones delivering milk you don’t have to worry about lonely housewives going astray.

Qouting @Triedaq

“All this discussion of home milk delivery has caused me another Geezeritis attack. I best go take another dose of Geritol®.”

Just KNOWING about Geritol® may qualify you as a geezer. What is it?

“Just KNOWING about Geritol® may qualify you as a geezer. What is it?”

It was a “tonic” that was widely marketed in the '50s & '60s. with the slogan, “Do you have tired blood?”. Geritol was a vile-tasting liquid that was very high in iron, and would help to cure some types of anemia–IF a person had actually been diagnosed with anemia.

In reality, by the '50s, iron deficiency anemia had become very rare as a result of enriched bread, and taking iron supplements when they are not needed can actually be dangerous to the heart and the circulatory system. I suppose that is why this junk isn’t marketed any longer.

The older members of the forum may remember the commercials–featuring Ted Mack–who stated that each spoonful of Geritol, “Has more iron than a pound of calves’ liver”. Trust me…liver tasted much better than this stuff that most people didn’t need.

OK, you got me interested in the DIVCOs again. I looked at it a while back but was worth another look. Below is a link to some neat information on them and I remember the Ewald Dairy and their trucks in Minneapolis. Essentially they stood up because it was easier on the body for the up to 200 stops a day they had to make. There are also a bunch of youtubes on the Divco and restorers.

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Divco/

@“MG McAnick” I have found the best treatment for Geezeritis is to look at the good things from one’s past and use these to shape one’s future. This beats Geritol®. I have really enjoyed this thread about home milk delivery and the Divco trucks. We don’t have home milk delivery any more. However, many people do online shopping and we have homs, delivery of all kinds of products. The shape of the UPS trucks is very similar to the Divco milk delivery trucks.

The Lawrence Welk show initially was sponsored in the 50s by the “Swept Wing Dodge” and had a very wide following when we only had 13 channels and 3 broadcasters. As the show aged, Geritol became a main sponsor reflecting the age of the viewers. Lawrence Welk aged with his audience; my mother in law even watched all the re-runs on PBS.

She referred to him as “my electronic boyfriend”.

"my electronic boyfriend".

lol … very funny story …

“The Lawrence Welk show”
…and a one and a two-ah…

When I was a kid, one of my older brother’s friends gave me a treasure trove of old Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines from the late '40s. In one of those old mags, there was a display ad for a mail-order correspondence course in how to play the accordion, and one of the ads included a testimonial from Lawrence Welk (hailing from…somewhere in The Dakotas) who said that, after taking this correspondence course, he had been able to secure better gigs for his band.

On an automotive note, in Escondido, CA (the same town where LW built his estate), there is a really good automotive collection that I was able to view ~25 years ago. In the era before GPS, the locals were absolutely no help in locating this collection, but my relentless search was well-rewarded when I finally found it.

Welk was from a farm in North Dakota but they played all over South and North Dakota and Minnesota getting his start. Old time music is still reasonably popular in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa and there will be regular concerts-mostly like Whoopie John though, more accordian, drums, etc. and not the big band sounds. Country seems to be more popular in South Dakota right now. I really never cared for the big bands and sax music drives me nuts, but the old time music and dances are really fun and I’ll do a listen at the county and state fairs if they are playing.

If you want some good polka music, this band is pretty fun if you look at some of their youtubes but this kid on the drums on this one is amazing. He’s only 6 here and also plays the fiddle and concertina in the band. Polka was taught in school but my wife and I took lessons after we were married for the fun of it. (dance was not allowed in her school or town)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7ihmbduvoE

I think because they got in out so much to deliver milk that sitting down was too time consuming.

Some of th Divco photos show seats that swivel out of the way. The driver had a choice to sit or stand.