WHY cant we have the HONDA Diesel?!

I had the pleasure of getting a Honda Accord Estate(wagon) 6mt diesel on my honeymoon in France. Incredible car sold as IMHO overpriced Acura TSX in the USA.

Not only do we not get the diesel, we get an over bloated boring US spec Honda Accord for our wider rear ends.

Honda(US) is not my favorite brand by a long shot. bleech…

To ME…$1500 would be well worth it…If it’s getting the 30-40 % increase in gas mileage as I’ve read. Over the 9-10 years of ownership…the gas mileage increase will MORE then pay for the upfront cost. I average about 35k miles a year. IF I can see of 30% increase in gas mileage I’ll have paid back that $1500 it’s first year. So YEA it’s worth it. If you only drive 5k miles a year…then it is NOT worth it. If I’m only seeing a 20% increase it may take me 2 years.

Read my reply above…

If you drive a lot like me…that $1500 cost difference will be paid back in it’s FIRST year…

Per Honda UK’s website the Accord Tourer (wagon) diesel with the automatic, base model, costs ?26,165. Which is equal to $42578.31.

Per Acura’s US website the base price of the TSX wagon, again base model with automatic is $30,960

Seems that the Euro model is the overpriced one to me.

The bottom line is, in the USA, when selling cars, sex sells, and today’s small diesel cars are econoboxes. They completely lack that type of appeal.

I admit I would love to have a diesel econobox. It would be a very affordable car to drive, especially after it’s paid for. A car like that could last for more than a million miles. Unfortunately, I don’t think I am in the majority.

I’d LOVE to see that here…Its cool

Exactly.

When they start dominating drag racing, come talk to me. :wink:

The 2.5 is also “gutless” compared to the VR6. Just remember that the deisel is a smaller engine than either gasoline option. Modern deisels are not that bad, just don’t buy one if you are racing. But, how many people actaully race their cars? Oh, and by the way, time it yourself, how long is 1/2 second?

The new automotive deisels are quiet and clean. For example, if you start up a deisel Touareg, you can’t tell it’s a deisel from the engine sound. You cannot tell it is a deisel from behind (while driving) unless you actually can see the TDI badge. Not like Ford trucks, which seem to pride themselves with being loud.

“superior fuel economy. They don’t have to stop to refuel nearly as much.”

Yes, that’s true. But they still have to be fast enough to compete. It’s complete domination by diesels. A diesel has won every year since 2006. Anyway, my point is that diesels are not necessarily slow. A 335d is not a 190D. I think that most people think of the Benz diesels from the 70 and 80s rather than modern diesels.

Mustang? What Mustang?

So one guy builds something freaking insane and that applies to all diesels?

Mmkay. By that logic, here’s proof that minivans are supercars:

You are an unusual driver, Mike. You actually will keep your car or truck for 200,000 miles and then some. You’ll even drive that 200,000 miles in the time it takes most of to go 100,000; maybe less. But since you are unusual in both respects, it is unlikely that a manufacturer would build something with you in mind.

Anyway, it’s not $1500. It’s $3000 to $5000 and more. So, when you gonna replace that 4Runner with a diesel?

People that buy 335i’s don’t compare them to Civics. They are completely different classes of cars for completely different groups of people. The most important thing for most people is the initial cost of the car. Then they get into other issues like comfort and handling. Since auto manufacturers build cars for most people, they won’t immediately think that a diesel is the right move, even if it is simple importing one and getting it to pass US standards (not as expensive as also building a foundry and machine shop).

Most Americans are not interested in a diesel because of all the old stigmas attached to them. The smell, lack of power, and finding diesel pumps.

Most consumers still think cars are the same as they were 40 years ago, only look different.

Gas in Japan is under $2.00 a gallon,so I don’t think they feel it is a pressing issue.

Diesel cost more. This is a mystery, since it was cheaper until people started switching to diesel cars here in the USA.Diesel was always cheaper.It takes less refining.

You cannot directly compare prices of a Euro car to a US priced car. Our cars our cheaper.

For example a Subaru STI costs $54,343.25 USD in UK but $37k for equivalent model in US.

You are an unusual driver, Mike. You actually will keep your car or truck for 200,000 miles and then some. You’ll even drive that 200,000 miles in the time it takes most of to go 100,000; maybe less. But since you are unusual in both respects, it is unlikely that a manufacturer would build something with you in mind.

And I know that…but I still think there’s enough of us to warrant to build them. But I buy what I can that fits. And most of the time it’s NOT exactly what I want…but only what’s available.

Anyway, it’s not $1500. It’s $3000 to $5000 and more. So, when you gonna replace that 4Runner with a diesel?

You may be right on the cost…I don’t know…But even at $5000 it’s worth it…At my current early mileage (which hasn’t changed much in the past 25 years)…my payback of the $5000 difference would be about 3.5 years…maybe 5 years. And since I keep my vehicles 8-10 years…it’s worth it.

Not $2/gallon:
“The average price of regular gasoline in Japan this
week jumped to a nine-month high of Y139.0 ($1.70) per liter, or $6.46
per gallon”.

The VR6 is 2.8L, the TDI was a 1.9L or 2.0L. But the VR6 didn’t have the benefits of forced induction. The current Jetta can be had for with 2.0L Turbo gas engine or a 2.0L TDI. I’d be willing to bet that the gas engine offers better acceleration and a more flexible powerband.

Correct, the 335d is not a slow car, but when you compare apples to apples. In this case a gas powered turbo 335i to the turbo diesel 335d. The gas powered car is still quicker and cheaper. The diesel does get 7 MPG better overall though.

They have a 2.0L Diesel now? Used to be 1.9 for a LONG time… Interesting I gotta read up on that. I hope they changed more things on it while they were at it…the last change I knew about was the 1.9L Pump Deuse (Doo-Say)