Who has owned an 85 Seville?

Would it be a good weekend cruiser? I found a nice model, well kept and serviced, and I have considered buying it for short weekend travel. I want a smooth riding and driving car with some style and difference. Thanks for your input/experience.

The worst cars ever made were the '81-'85 models…ANY significant mechanical failure will total this car. Parts are non-existent. Mechanics willing to work on them are almost as rare…On E-bay, this car MIGHT bring $400, which is in fact what it’s worth…

Wow! I am being sold a “bill of goods,” then. I have been told they are collector cars, will increase in value, and that they are, in fact, very dependable when serviced regularly. On classic car sites, there are models listing for $5K plus.

Caddyman, I may have asked before…which Caddys have you owned/still own?

This might be a good time to again suggest a 1980s Bentley Mulsanne or a Benz of the same era (300SD, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SE, 420 SEL, 500 SE, 500 SEL).

There’s no cost to look at theses links. If you like them, get an idea of what they might cost at eBay Motors. If you are still interested, start looking in earnest.

It was the first Cadillac to ruin the company’s reputation; truly dismal in most respects. The styling was unique in some ways. As others say, no mechanic want to fix it and parts are very hard to get. Another poster was looking at one, and I strongly advised against it.

I thought the Cimarron was the first to damage Cadillac’s reputation!!!

It came after the Seville, and, you’re right, finished it off conpletely! An otherwise intelligent engineer friend of mine bought one and fund it was a poor quality warmed-over Chevy Cavalier.

Hey I owned a 1976 Seville. I loved that car. It had the normal trunk, an Olds 350R with a 4bbl Holley and the posi rear from…but I also worked the used car lot for a guy who specialized in muscle cars and mods and bought it from a mechanic of his. Looked like a POS but if I drove the auto like a stick it would chirp the tires and smoke a Camaro off the line…to be young and stupid again. Luckily the brakes were upgraded as well.

I owned an 82 Seville (same style and engine) for 11 years and put 195,000 miles on it. I went through 3 AC compressors, 3 transmission rebuilds (until a shop finally told me if I have it serviced every year I would have to rebuild it all the time), and 1 engine rebuild. I had all the repair manuals for the car and was able to do all the simple things myself. For all the complex things, I found a very reliable shade tree mechanic that could do it. The only time I took it to the dealer is when it was still under warranty. It was a very good running car (not as much power as the Northstar or even the 4.9). If you are mechanically inclined it can be a great weekend cruiser. I drove mine cross country twice.

1976 was a very different car, would have collectible value (I think they were one of the best looking cars of the entire decade). 1985, the ‘bustle-backed’ ones, on the other hand, are not especially collectible. Sure, they’ll always be sold and bought, but they aren’t going to become ‘classics’.

9 out of 10 pimps can’t be wrong. Make sure you get some gold wire wheels with it to show off your good taste.

And don’t forget the spray-on rock top and the faux-fur headliner!

If you have to buy it, you will survive. Any strange engine problems and you may have to replace the engine computer which is relatively cheap. It used to cost about a hundred dollars. The rocker arm support could break and if a lifter pops out of the bore, you have to pull the intake manifold off to put it back in the hole. At least a camshaft can be changed without pulling the engine. The 4.1 engine probably requires straight 30Wt oil in the warm weather. There should be a label on the hood or in the engine compartment. Maximum I would pay for one is $1,000 or less.

My parents owned an early 80’s Cadillac and it was a nightmare. They wound up just calling a salvage yard to tow it away after it broke for the final time.

I have to be honest though, even if this car had a good reputation it’s still almost 24 years old and rubber and wiring as well as other things will simply start to degrade from time itself not mileage. You’d have to really want one of these cars because of the way it looks to invest the time and money. If you’re on a budget and must have a Caddy try a 1992 or later Seville model. It was the Motor Trend car of the year when it debuted.