Which would you choose? Green car or Dream Car?

The problem with “money is not the object” is that for all but the 0.001% of us, money is the object and the “dream” car can become a nightmare. But everyone should own one dream car in their lifetime.

Few of us ever keep our 69 dream car in a garage out back only to have the kid next door try to steal it (guess what video I rented last weekend), and once we get rid of it, we forget the bad things and remember the good time we had with it. We remember the hot chick we picked up in it and forget, that at the time, all you were thinking was that “I wish I had gotten those plastic seat covers.”

Years later its much easier to accept the 37 mpg Saturn’s sluggish acceleration when some joker next to you proudly pulls slowly away from you, that you can remember what 0-60 in 7 seconds was like, forgetting the 11 mpg on premium and the humiliation of having to attend traffic school with all those losers.

Did you read the thread about the U2 ride James May took? I’m sure that a ride in a Black Bird would be at least as much fun. You can see one up close at the Boeing Museum near Seattle if you ever get to the Left Coast. OR you could toodle on up to DC and see it at the Steven F. Udvar Hazy Center of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum (pant, pant) near Dulles Airport.

_<

And here I forgot to bring my umbrella to the parade. :stuck_out_tongue:

My dream car is a green car, because
a) I’d feel guilty about driving a gas guzzler, and guilt feels no good.
(The environment and America’s trade deficit are equally weighted.)
b) I’m an old-fashioned New Englander, and frugality is in my blood, no matter how much money I have and no matter whose money it is. (Should I run for office?)
c) I belong to the “point A to point B” school of motoring.
d) I get a kick out of saving energy. It’s an interesting challenge.

And:
e) Small cars warm up faster in the winter.
f) Small cars are easier to parallel park in Boston.
g) Small cars are easier to maneuver.
h) An expensive car makes you feel vulnerable in Boston traffic, because it makes you afraid of aggressive drivers.

(So if I live in Boston, why do I have a car at all, many of you would ask. But I don’t live in Boston. I live near it and go there often.)

I wish Bentley would go back to the way they used to rate the power of there engines. Didn’t it go something like “Sufficent” some models and “Exceptional” for the high performance models?

I can imagine going into the Bentley dealership; “What’s it got under the hood?”
“It has a 6 and 3/4 litre turbocharged V8.” How much power?" “It’s sufficent…”

I dunno… Would VW do business the same way as RR/Bentley did?

Figures Captain Slow would ride in one of the slowest jets ever made:) I’ve been to the Air and Space Muesuem in D.C. a few times, but not lately. The Commemorative Air Force usually stops by the local airport every year and I make it point to go see the old warbirds they bring out. A few years ago, the brough their B-29 “Fifi” and I was fortunate enough to get to go inside her and look around. I think it’s only airworthy B-29 in the world.

I think that I just might opt for a Tesla Roadster.
That very speedy and sporty electric car fits the “green” category, and since it is a pricey little piece of technology, I think that it may also qualify as a “dream car”.

Dream car with a green engine. If Mother’s can build a 1000 HP dedicated propane 1970 Chevelle then I could find a way to build a propane 1964 Continental.

I own a 2004 Toyota Prius. Recently, I saw the commercial for the new diesel VW Jetta. An old VW bug and the new Jetta have a conversation with a Prius owner about the engines. The bug brags on the Jetta how “Vroomy” it is. The bug asks the Prius owner what his car sounds like. The Prius owner rounds his lips and exhales, creating a sound like a light breeze.

This spot may entice folks to buy a Jetta (great mpg w/ the TDI), but it just reaffirmed my decision to buy the Prius. I LOVE IT! GREEN

Actually looking over what has been and will probably be available, there are several that come to mind. The Aptera would likely fit the bill of being both sporty and super green to boot. Performance figures are impressive, to say the least.

The “green car” troupe forgets that hybrids have lots of nasty batteries.
Also, keeping my 97 Saturn is more green than buying a new “green” car because my Saturn is ALREADY BUILT. It requires no additional resources. Keeping an old but otherwise good used car “helps” reduce the amount of factories needed and the amount of new resources of all kinds. And, my Saturn is easy to fix. Compare that to a Prius which is stuffed with expensive electronic doo dads. No thanks.

However, I would opt for “dream car” but the one I want hasn’t been built yet. It might look like a Lamborghini Murcielago, but smaller, lighter, with an efficient 4 cyl or V-6. Narrower tires for less drag. Etc. Of course, lime green metallic! A real dream car.

I hope the Aptera is available across the US soon!!

green, when there is actually such thing as a true green car. for now, i will stick with cars that are fun to drive and also get good mileage–such as my current Mini. my dream car is one that will allow me (and family, in the future) to get from place to place cheaply and help end dependence on fossil fuels.

dream car-probably won’t be around long enough to enjoy the effects of a green car plus I don’t like green it’s an ugly color exspecially for cars.

I wouldn’t want a dream car so much as a dream garage filled with quirky 1950s to 1980s Detroit iron ranging from full restorations to rusting, oxidized hulks and demo derby/24 Hours of LeMons fodder (I have always been fond of odd, ugly and/or unusual cars) but if I were offered on top of what I already have a single dream or green car, I would probably lean toward green.

The reason? I already have my 1968 Cutlass which fits the fun/hobby car role nicely, so my next vehicle should be something comfortable, reliable and more economical, though not to the point of death by boredom or angry semi.

My current auto lust is pointed towards the VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with either the DSG or the Manual. Sure money wouldn’t be an issue, but it would still be nice to have a nice balance of both.

However, if it meant I could only own a single car and I had to give up the Cutlass, then you would have to pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands. I put too much time/money/effort into that car to wantonly give it up. Then again, if the offer were extended to spending any amount of money to upgrade the car I already have then I would definitely pursue a performance engine/trans/differential/suspension/exhaust/interior upgrade on the Cutlass and boost the fun factor to 200%.

From Top Gear. BMW M3 vs Prius. Now I know its not “scientific”, its entertainment…but it is something to think about.

(At least) one of each. A dream car for special occasions (like driving to the dairy queen or when you’re in a bad mood) and a practical car for everyday.

How about a Dream Car Law? It would be good for the economy–people would spend money at restoration and specialty shops plus money for new green cars and their maintainance. And then education–train technicians/mechanics to work on both dream and green cars. And then money to develop green dream cars.

Dream car… since the green business is nothing but a political scam job to the public I will eliminate helping Gore and drive me a dream car. Thank you very much!!!

DREAM CAR!!! To be sure!