Which Car to Keep

I am moving from the East Coast, where I have a 200 BMW 540i, to the West Coast, where I have a 2003 Mercedes 320 AMG (or rather, my husband, the car nut, bought these cars). Should I keep the BMW (I’d have it transported) or the Mercedes?

I’m wondering about repair/maintenance costs.

Either car is expensive to maintain or repair, so I suggest you keep the car you prefer driving.

You will likely be driving a lot more on the West Coast. Also the emission controls are different for California cars. The local mechanics may have difficulty when your Eastern car needs work.

I would be inclined to sell both and get a solid commuter car like a Camry or Honda Accord. Or you can go upscale and buy the Lexus or Acura versions of these cars. Either cars will go many miles with few breakdowns.

No real difference in repair or maintenance costs and the MB probably gets a bit better mpgs, so I’d go with it.

Thanks. This is probably what I will do after I settle in, which will take me a while.

Good point.

Let me understand this…

You have a BMW 540i on the East Coast and a Mercedes 320 AMG on the west coast?

Keep whichever you prefer. If both of these fit in your budget right now, keeping either one and parting with the other should not be a problem.

I disagree. The 320 AMG has a big engine and poor gas mileage. I actually looked at the C32 AMG. There is no 320 AMG. I assumed the C32 AMG since it is a sedan, like the 540i. It is much smaller than the 540i, though. The C32 AMG gets 15/19 (17 avg) and the worst 540i gets the same mileage (S5 transmission) while the best gets 16/22 (18 avg). I suspect that the BMW has 50-state emissions clearance and can be brought to Cali without any problem. BTW, you left off the last digit. What year is the BMW? Anyway, there are Bimmers and Benz’s all over the place you’ll be right at home with them. Check insurance cost. I’ll bet the AMG is a LOT more expensive.

The BMW is a 2000. Sorry for the omission. I presume servicing/repairs on each would be equally pricey?

I need to pare down to one car – the question is, should it be the BMW, the Mercedes, or something else (meaning I would sell both the BMW and the Mercedes).

Mileage on each car has not been addressed; could be important regarding repair/maintenance costs.

When we were in Germany a few years back it seemed that BMWs were more popular with the cops and taxi drivers used Mercedes. Do you want a cop car or a taxi?

BMW has 54,000 miles on it, the Mercedes has about 9,000.

Thanks.

“I would be inclined to sell both and get a solid commuter car like a Camry or Honda Accord. Or you can go upscale and buy the Lexus or Acura versions of these cars. Either cars will go many miles with few breakdowns.”

Your practicality is showing. I agree with your choices. But generally OP has it right too. Take your good advice and settle into a decision over time as they get used to their new surroundings. Though I’d like to spend someone else money immediately, good decision that aren’t emergency, are often evolved into instead of “made” ahead.

OK, now I’m confused. What is the exact model of your Mercedes? C320 or C32? If C32, then I’d say it’s a real tossup, the 540 would have more room and about equal mpgs. Which do you like? Your choice.

Since the BMW is the better car in my opinion, and OP is not in a hurry, I would keep the BMW and once in California gradually decide to phase it out after trying out a number of more suitable cars for freeway commuting.

I’d say keep both for a little while and see how it goes, providing insurance and such isn’t going to be too outrageous. When you get all settled in, then decide which one to keep.

You’re paring down from twp extremely expensive luxury cars, both low mileage, to one.

If the goal is simply to reduce costs for philosophical reasons, selling either will accomplish it. Keep whichever you like best.

If there’s a need to REALLY reduce costs for financial reasons, I’d suggest selling the East Coast one, getting a Consumer Reports New Car Buyers’ Guide from the local bookstore when you gete to Cal., and making the best deal you can on trading (or selling) the West Coast one and replacing it with something you like that fits comfortably into your new budget.

Since repair/maintenance costs are in the question, you can review them all in the CR book.

Without really understanding what your likes and dislikes are as wlel as your real goal here it’s hard for us to make a good recommendation. Mine would be to sell them both and get a Nissan 370Z droptop. They have great seats. But that may be entirely wrong for you.

Do you mean 90,000 miles or just 9,000 on the Mercedes. Only 9,000 miles on a 2003 Mercedes is unheard of and would qualify it as a collector’s car.

For some things, yes. But the brakes, suspension, engine and transmission are much more expensive since they are modified by AMG. Given just 9000 miles on the AMG, I’d be inclined to keep it.

“Since repair/maintenance costs are in the question, you can review them all in the CR book.”

I have a Spring 2009 CR car book and and it doesn’t have any information about cost, just where in the 0 to 3+% failure rate they are for the 11 or so different subsystems.